Reunited with one of my toys!

M

michigan michael

I cant seem to find an old coin other than my 3 wheaties so, please bare with me on my finds....

I received permission to hunt my childhood house. I was swinging the side walk line when I got the signal. I dug it from 5" deep and flush with the sidewalk line. I could not believe my eyes! I knew exactly what it was. I really could not believe it still had stickers on it and the white paint still covered it completely! (ERTL sure made quality toys!) I found my old space shuttle that I bought with my allowance while following the tragic launch of the space shuttle challenger. This was actually purchased before launch. We were following the teacher's progress (in school) that was going into space. :( I must of been 10 or 11 years old. This was one of my prized possessions as a child. It really makes me smile to see it again after all these years! I also found my usual clad and a skull ring also but really wanted to post this one. (The ring was a park find the same day)

Attachments

• shuttle.jpg
    shuttle.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 231
  • shuttle2.jpg
    shuttle2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 226
  • shuttle3.jpg
    shuttle3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 227
  • skullring.jpg
    skullring.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 222

oracle

Nov 1, 2008
MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Cool story, thanks for sharing. Don't feel bad about not finding older coins, I've been on a heck of a drought in that department myself. But persistance does eventually pays off.

HH
Rich

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
I also had that same freekin space shuttle and i also think i remember seeing that same ring somewhere ...wow crazy thanks for the memory

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Nice find and nice story but dude your making me feel old. I remember walking through the halls at college when the Challenger tragedy was on the news.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! I have often thought about trying to get permission to hunt my childhood home.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Wow, That ia amazing that you found that after so long a time, and in such good shape. Congrats
on finding it. That will be a real treasure for you now.

I remember where I was at that time, too. I had a dental appointment so I had the morning off.
I was working down in Sterling Heights and was on my way in to work, on 26 Mile Rd, crossing the
RR tracks, just west of Gratiot. I was listening about it on my truck radio whan they announced
that it had just exploded. I was right on the tracks as they announced the explosion. It is funny
how something like that will stick in your mind like that.

That was a horrible thing to happen.

Thanks for posting your find.

Ray

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one heckuva cool story bro :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deal, :thumbsup: Yeah I remember that day too, I was in college, just woke up and was rather
shocked to see the challenger explode, the kind of thing that you remember where you were
when you heard about it, like when JFK was shot(before my time.)

Good luck,
HH.

P.S.
Swing the coil, dig the signals, the older coins will come.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember being at work when the Challenger thingy happened. How I miss having a job :'(.........NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread