Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooh I dont know, be worth making a phone call to the township office or something to find out. I do know they have a long-going dig at the site of the old fort. I've heard they have some cool finds on dsplay in a museum up there, I'd love to check that out. maybe someone on here knows the local law.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where? I think if you ask at private property you will be ok. The Island is off limits, and I believe the state parks nearby are also off limits. Be careful.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I think maybe I will cal the Camber of Commerce and see what I can findout. There's a small little park near the bridge and I thought maybe that might be city property. Also thought about St. Ignace, as there is a little park there down by the water.

HH
DJH

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
Dude, I wouldn't call the city about the small city park. I would just go. There are signs up all over near the bridge park that specifically ban detecting. The little park you mention is the one with the water tower I assume, and its not part of the state park. I probably wouldn't detect the marina area this time of year. (Its also a graasy park area) Too many people out and about on the grass. Fall or early spring would be better. I've never detected these Machinac areas, but have scoped it out. Unfortunately I'm always there in July, and its a very touristy time, so I just don't do it.
There is also a snowmobile trailhead area from an old train track turned gravel bike trail. The trail head is a few blocks west of the mackinac crossing area.

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Just go to the old fort site and pull out the detector and if any persons says anything just look at them with a puzzled face and start talking gibberish.....maybe they will think your a head case and leave ya alone :tongue3:

Slipperyjack47

BigZee

Mar 3, 2008
Southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Max
The fort grounds were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960. It is a popular tourist attraction as part of Colonial Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City, a major section of the Mackinac State Historic Parks. Interpreters, both paid and volunteer, help bring the history to life, with music, live demonstrations and reenactments, including musket and cannon firing demonstrations. The site has numerous reconstructed historical wooden structures. It is considered one of the most extensively excavated early French archaeological sites in the United States.

The fort grounds also contain the foot of the Mackinac Bridge, Old Mackinac Point Light, which is an 1892 lighthouse, and a day-use park with a great view of the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island.

Being that this is designated as a National Historic Landmark I believe that it is closed to MD.
Good Luck :)

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigZee said:
The fort grounds were designated a National Historic Landmark in 1960. It is a popular tourist attraction as part of Colonial Michilimackinac State Park in Mackinaw City, a major section of the Mackinac State Historic Parks. Interpreters, both paid and volunteer, help bring the history to life, with music, live demonstrations and reenactments, including musket and cannon firing demonstrations. The site has numerous reconstructed historical wooden structures. It is considered one of the most extensively excavated early French archaeological sites in the United States.

The fort grounds also contain the foot of the Mackinac Bridge, Old Mackinac Point Light, which is an 1892 lighthouse, and a day-use park with a great view of the Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island.

Being that this is designated as a National Historic Landmark I believe that it is closed to MD.
Good Luck :)

Thanks for the info. that you have provided, as that is what I was looking for. No need to ruin the Vacation by having a fine imposed or the detector taken away.

HH

DJH

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
St. Ignace of course is oldest settled place in Michigan. I only live 50 miles away, but finding somewhere to get permission to hunt that is promising is not too easy.
Be prepared if you go to St Ignace, there is more rock in the ground than I have ever seen anywhere! Digging a few inches can be quite an excersize!

When do you plan to be in Mackinaw? I have a friend up there, he could quietly get some info, maybe.
In fact the little park is called the Chief Wawatam Park, in honor of his father.

Good Luck,
Mark

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would imagine many places around St. Ignace would be intresting to hunt, my father use to find arrowheads when he was a kid, while my grandfather was a crane opperator buillding the Bridge. i guess they were living on a burrial ground. i would think the island is off limits

hissinroaches

May 25, 2009
northern michigan,USA
Detector(s) used
treasure hunterxj9-3050
just buy some of those "metal detecting sandals.." and a screwdriver in your back pocket..and have at it!!! just joking! LOL

Attachments

• DSC00905.JPG
    DSC00905.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 265

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right there is one state park just not too far from the bridge that's good to go for metal detecting the entire park and if I ever get up there again I'll definitely give it a try but I'll bet it's been hammered hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread