Ever wonder why so many views and minimal replies?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
After about 40 WTGs you get to feeling less than genuine. So for anyone I looked in on WTG, and I mean it. Monty

Same thing after the first 40 "I love you, honey's" when you say bye on the phone. :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes BB I've played the old "You hang up first" game too! Monty

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's probably a fair share of people that are just visitors too.

BigZee

Mar 3, 2008
Southern Michigan
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Max
Well, being the skeptical person I am.
I don't necessarily believe everything I see posted. :dontknow:
Not everything on the internet is what it seems.

Congrats to all those that deserve it. :icon_thumright:

And to the others, well enough said. :)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked at this post 6 times and only replied once.

And I still don't have anything worthwhile to say.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would say the cause is non member "lurkers" whos views count --they are unable to post and unlikely too even if they could -- these folks often just cruize by looking for info on / photos of local places or sites in their area where "good" things can be found (too lazy to do research or find their own spots) --once they ID the spot they "poach" the other guys site .

a lot of members are just lookers too as well --some seldom if ever post a reply.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I try to reply as much as possible but for me personally I like the fact that there are so many views to my posts. If someone doesn't say something at least I know they took the time to look at it. I would rather have a thousand views and 10 replies then 20 views and 10 replies.

HH Charlie

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, MM, I've noticed that too where some will have so many views and little or no replies.
But with the non-members being unable to reply, I can see where views would build up. Never
thought about that either. I've often been guilty of reading without replying. I usually
don't get a chance to be on here until late eveningso I don't have a lot of time. There
are usually a lot of good posts on the main forum plus all the ones on the michigan site.I
haven't posted any pics of my finds for quite a while cause i haven't had much time to go
out and when I did my finds weren't worth posting. Also, this summer we have been up north
camping 3 different times. The first two were two-weeks antd the third was 11 days. It's
been fun but now I have to catch up on the honey-do list that I am way behind on. LOL
There were several time that we didn't take vacations because of our work schedules, so
now we are retired, My wife wanted to go camping as much as we could this summer. So
we did. LOL

But..anyway... you had a good post here and some good replies.

Have a good day and Happy Hunting,

Ray

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually won't reply to a post unless there's something constructive to add. I read posts if the title catches my eye but sometimes someone beats me to a comment or idea so i'm no going to repeat the same thing. WTG doesn't make the post any more interesting and i'm not interested in boosting my post count. It's not the number of responses but what's in them that counts.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Because I replied once, this topic keeps showing up in my 'Unread Replies' button.

Sometimes I've replied once and then just read what others are saying without replying EACH and EVERY time I read the post.

Lots of people doing this makes the viewed count go up, disproportionate to the reply count. I've read this post to see what others have said without replying EACH and EVERY time I view it.

That's about a 7 to 1 ratio.

Does not make me a lurker, but a READER, unlike people who reply without ever reading the other posts and sounding dumb as a stump because it's already been said, twice.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
G.I.B. said:
Because I replied once, this topic keeps showing up in my 'Unread Replies' button.

Sometimes I've replied once and then just read what others are saying without replying EACH and EVERY time I read the post.

Lots of people doing this makes the viewed count go up, disproportionate to the reply count. I've read this post to see what others have said without replying EACH and EVERY time I view it.

That's about a 7 to 1 ratio.

Does not make me a lurker, but a READER, unlike people who reply without ever reading the other posts and sounding dumb as a stump because it's already been said, twice.

Very good point G.I.B, Mine would be about the same if not higher.

Charlie

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

The problem with making a post like this is a lot of people seems to think there has to be a right and wrong answer for the topic. Everyone is different and entitled to their own opinions. I see a lot of people are against the WTG comment. They say it is not meaningful. Well I kind of feel different. I don't think it makes me dumb. It is a quick and easy way to participate and lets the person posting know, that I have seen the post and thought it was great. Simple. That's all. Does it not mean anything? Its all out of fun and entertainment. What type of meaning does any of this have anyway? I don't understand why someone cant repeat what someone else already posted either. If the person was thinking the same thing. Say whats on your mind. Or is it, someone already congratulated this person on a great find so I will have to find someone else to congratulate. ::) I guess I was voicing my opinion as well as asking a question. I can see why the views get so high from some of the replies now. Thanks everyone. My final thought to this is I like to read posts, I like lots of replies to my posts , ( even WTG or :icon_thumleft:). I like to encourage my fellow Tnetter with replies to their posts. Treasurenet has been a lot of fun and a great place to meet fellow hunters and an excellent source of information. I guess we can all enjoy it our own way. If you are a lurker, be a lurker, a reader, be a reader, If you are a participant, well bring on the posts and replies because a lot of us love that too. ! :wink: :icon_thumleft: ;D On the other hand.......... If nobody posted or replied...... Would there be a Treasurenet? :icon_scratch:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G.I.B. said:
If you're referring to my post,sorry about that. I did read all the comments and was only adding my 2 cents about what i respond to. I'm no genius, but i'm not dumb as a stump either.

OP
OP
M

michigan michael

mountainman 2 said:
G.I.B. said:
If you're referring to my post,sorry about that. I did read all the comments and was only adding my 2 cents about what i respond to. I'm no genius, but i'm not dumb as a stump either.

Lol Not at all. :D Facts are fact though. We do have all 3 lurkers, readers, and partispants. Thanks for the replies Mountain man 2 . :icon_thumleft:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
mountainman 2 said:

No... what I was talking about is a thread when someone asks what is it. Then there is a long discussion and finally someone figures out what it is, posts a link to it along with proof and photos, and then other people talk about what it is...

Then the genius appears and suggests what it might be... and has never read all the replies or the solution.

There is a neat thread on TN about how well people read posts. It's got a high view count.

I agree with you about adding something constructive to the post, not just bumping your post count with smileys.

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, more often than not when I say Nice finds or WTG , I'd be totally
happy to of found "it"(whatever it is) myself. Many a time when I reply
I am impressed. In my book any silver is worth posting, buff and IH's
too, and rings and things and so forth. Its cool to share ones finds w/
people who know how hard it is to find goodies.

Good luck,
HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread