Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all:

I haven't found time recently to MD with a family wedding in WA and other obligations. Today I finally went out for a few hours at a homestead that is at least 136 YO. I started with a clad pocket spill but after hunting could not even scare up a Wheatie. :dontknow: The homeowner didn't think it had ever been detected or had the dirt moved around. Talking to him about old homesteads in the area, the subject of "old glass" came up. He is currently excavating around our church to put in new drain tiles and has found some old glass. He had set some unbroken bottles aside and said I could have them. I swung by church on the way home and picked them up. There were three food type jars and a nice "Steketee's Neuralgia Drops" bottle. Any idea on how old the food bottles are? (Giant?) The Steketee's bottle is circa 1900, made in Grand Rapids, MI, my former hometown. WTG Henry on saving them for me! :icon_thumleft:

So, not a great hunt but the old bottles were nice and to be out hunting on such a nice day was a treasure itself. Perfect temps and soft digging! :icon_pirat:

HH and thanks for looking,
Michiganne

pic 1 - old homestead
pic 2 - clad and a type of sifter lid :icon_scratch:
pic 3 - glass (middle bottle is a H.J. Heinz)
pic 4 - Steketee's neuralgia drops
pic 5 - our church that will be 100YO in 2011
pic 6 - neat stone foundation
pic 7 - Steketee's ad

Attachments

• treasure 2009 081.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 081.jpgcomp.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 172
  • treasure 2009 092.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 092.jpgcomp.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 168
  • treasure 2009 093.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 093.jpgcomp.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 168
  • treasure 2009 094.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 094.jpgcomp.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 165
  • treasure 2009 084.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 084.jpgcomp.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 166
  • treasure 2009 088.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 088.jpgcomp.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 175
  • ahb2006q11558_225px[1].jpg
    ahb2006q11558_225px[1].jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 128

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice looking bottles there! Don't give up on that yard just yet, I bet there are some coins hiding in there! It is nice to have soft soil again!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on them old bottles Anne!!!! I'd say late 1800's on the Steketee's bottle, it looks like the seam stops before it gets to the top, as do the last two bottles in the picture of 3, the middle one looks like it has writing on the bottom of it too? Usually all the bottle collector's will not even keep bottles these days that don't have writing on them. Mike from Mi might know something about them too, I know Al that owns the metal detector shop knows quite a bit about them. Al sure writes some neat stories about detecting and bottle hunting too if you get a chance you should read some of them at www.prostockdetectors.com

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radiemaker said:
cool bottles! That church looks pretty old!

HH, Jim

Yes, we are getting it fixed up for the 100 year anniversary in 2011. It was built with lots of help from the local farmers who carried the huge stones in on their farm wagons to the site. It is a bit of a landmark around here.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant056 said:
Great score on them old bottles Anne!!!! I'd say late 1800's on the Steketee's bottle, it looks like the seam stops before it gets to the top, as do the last two bottles in the picture of 3, the middle one looks like it has writing on the bottom of it too? Usually all the bottle collector's will not even keep bottles these days that don't have writing on them. Mike from Mi might know something about them too, I know Al that owns the metal detector shop knows quite a bit about them. Al sure writes some neat stories about detecting and bottle hunting too if you get a chance you should read some of them at www.prostockdetectors.com

Thanks, Giant.:thumbsup: Yes, the middle bottle says "H.J. Heinz" on the bottom along with some numbers. Ketchup or vinegar? If I make it to the Sept. SWMSS meeting I'll try to remember and take them along to show Al if he's there. :icon_thumleft:

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Anne, the item with the clad is part of a lantern base. The slot in the middle is where the wick popped up through. I have found a lot of these and there are quite a few different styles. If the dial (crank) was on there you would be able to read patent dates off of it.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going! Ask about searching the church. You already have your (IN).
I think I can help with the bottles. Info on the way.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Nice bottles. The bottle on the left looks like a pickle jar and the one on the right is an olive or capers jar. They all look like turn of the century bottles.

Good luck hunting.

Wolverine.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Anne glad you were able to get out and do a little hunting, even if you didnt score any old coins its still always fun, especially having nice soil to dig in. I like the old bottles, good luck if you try that place again.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wallhangers said:
Hey Anne, the item with the clad is part of a lantern base. The slot in the middle is where the wick popped up through. I have found a lot of these and there are quite a few different styles. If the dial (crank) was on there you would be able to read patent dates off of it.

Thanks, Mark. :icon_thumleft: I should have recognized it having found parts of them before. I've never found a complete one with the crank yet.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mich. Wolverine said:
Nice bottles. The bottle on the left looks like a pickle jar and the one on the right is an olive or capers jar. They all look like turn of the century bottles.

Wolverine.

Thanks for the info, Wolverine. :thumbsup: I really like the old glass.

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That was my first thought when I saw those bottles,WOW.
Good luck hunting.

HH.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. The glass bottles look great. congrats

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool bottles, especially the snake oyl. I was heavily digging bottles 30 years ago. Still have a collection, and I think that Giant has dated the medicinal right on the money! Good luck with the diggings! ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread