Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you Lord, I get to mark another one off my wish list! I was going to wait until I got it cleaned up better, but not sure how well I'll be able to get those crusties off there. It was my first signal after getting out of the car, probably 30 seconds after having the detector on, and this is my 3rd time at this place. stuck around for another half hour and recovered the wheat 1928. the 2 cent coin registered at 6.5 inches, pretty stoked. I've just been using peroxide on and off for the past hour, and it has been getting better, any ideas? I can tell it looks nice under there. thanks for looking, Griff

Attachments

• 9-13,1.jpg
    9-13,1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 9-13,2.jpg
    9-13,2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 9-13,3.jpg
    9-13,3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 9-13,4.jpg
    9-13,4.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 279

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Congrats on your first 2-Center !! I got one today also :icon_thumleft:
I think that with a little more time in the peroxide, she will clean up real nice.

VPR

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats on your first 2 cent piece Griff :thumbsup: did you try heating the peroxide before in the microwave? Thats how I do it and if I can't get the stuff off I'll go for a long soak in olive oil. A lot of times a couple days in olive oil will loosen up that crust and you'll be able to chunk it off with a toothpick. Once you've soaked it in olive oil the peroxide won't work on it that good anymore so I'd start out with the peroxide which you've already started.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remarkable !!! Nice coin !!!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure!
I would soak it in olive oil for a couple weeks then use a tooth pick to pick at the crusties!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!
Congratulations on the 2 cent coin Griff. :thumbsup:
Looking forward to my first one.

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Congrats to ya!! Fun stuff. They usually come outta the ground like Indian heads do because they are made of the same stuff. Musta had some bad ground. Don't think there is much to save the real cruddy part. Whats underneath will be destroyed. You'll find em in great shape like some of your indians you find. Congrats again on your first of many. Just keep hitting the old spots and they will pop up now and then. Jim

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim C. said:
Musta had some bad ground. Don't think there is much to save the real cruddy part. Whats underneath will be destroyed. Jim
yeah I was afraid of that, :( I'll just do the best I can, and try the olive oil and toothpick thing. thanks for the replies everyone, maybe the next one will be better. heres a drawing 1874 of where I dug it. red x marks the spot ;D

Attachments

• 7-27 draper map2.JPG
    7-27 draper map2.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 167

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
I think thats cool how you mark on the old plat where you found the coin. Really takes ya back to the scene of the drop. Cool stuff.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Rando said:
Jim C. said:
I think thats cool how you mark on the old plat where you found the coin. Really takes ya back to the scene of the drop. Cool stuff.
Agreed.
I'm going to start doing that. i think that's what seperates the people who are looking to just make money and find silver they can melt and jewelry they can sell from people who are actually intrigued by the history of the item and the area.
Yes, that is cool, marking the map for reference. The history is worth more than the money. Melt a silver coin? No way in heck! ffd

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fistfulladirt said:
Rando said:
Jim C. said:
Agreed.
I'm going to start doing that. i think that's what seperates the people who are looking to just make money and find silver they can melt and jewelry they can sell from people who are actually intrigued by the history of the item and the area.
Yes, that is cool, marking the map for reference. The history is worth more than the money. Melt a silver coin? No way in heck! ffd

I love to think that maybe that coin was already dropped there at the time the drawing was done. I gave the owner a copy of this drawing and there were pretty geeked about it . I love the history and have never sold anything yet (Jim C. ;D )

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Never say never. I never thought I would sell my coins. Couldn't believe some people would do that. Ya never know. Before Obama is through with us we may be surviving on those silver coins.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
That is a BEAUT Postal!!! It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you posted one more pic (front and back of course :D) after final cleanup.

M

michigan michael

Awesome awesome coin! :headbang: :notworthy:

Not sure how to clean it but someone told me to use ketchup or Worcestershire sauce on a shield nickel. :icon_scratch: Not sure it would work for a 2 center. congrats on a very sweet coin though! :headbang:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, yes it's crusty- but still nice detail- that's the good old stuff,WTG! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
Careful with the olive oil too long soaking will give a false (dark) patina! Found out the hard way with my Large cent!

Congrats on the 2 cent tho!!!

HH, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread