Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I spent the morning making and canning applesauce (34 qts.) so canning season is now officially over. :headbang: I stopped at the farmhouse just down the road for a short hunt this afternoon as the weather was too nice to be inside. My 3YO and 7YO joined me and they took turns, at times, manning my Propointer. The homeowner came out and yakked a while so I wasn't overly productive but I did find an unusual coin. It is roughly the size of a nickel but definitely not an American coin. It has a star and moon stamped in it. We can make out the word "cent" on one side. Is this some kind of magician's coin? :dontknow:

I also found a button that says "The Knocker." Miscellaneous round objects including a salt shaker lid. I'm not sure what the object in the foreground of the first pic is either. :icon_scratch: Possibly part of a pocket watch, but it seems a bit small.

Be safe out there all you deerslayers.

HH and thanks for looking,
Michiganne

Attachments

• treasure 2009 148.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 148.jpgcomp.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 253
  • treasure 2009 149.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 149.jpgcomp.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 260
  • treasure 2009 151.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 151.jpgcomp.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 254

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strange coin - Nov.14

Nice digs! Coold be a token or coin that was stamped? Hope I can see it Tuesday. I have found two Knocker buttons. The knocker was a guy that went around the locomotive with a club and he would knock many different areas of the engine to see if they sounded different that they were supposed to.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats a good hunt Anne, keep us updated on what that stamped coin turns out to be, looks like you can see at least one pillar on the one side, should be able to figure out what it is. maybe try it on the what is it forum. good hunting though, Griff

mcmich

Mar 2, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Tiger Shark

That is a strange find Anne, keep us posted on the coin varity. For what its worth, concerning the star and crescent moon, found this on a Tatoo website (it is a popular tatoo)...

"For early farmers and agricultural societies - the very seed of modern civilization - there were often very strict guidelines that used the cycles and stages of the moon as a calendar for the planting and harvesting of crops, and for religious and civil ceremonies. The moon literally was the time-keeper for early cultures. Thus a crescent moon and a star represent the heavens and all that is divine, with powerful feminine overtones. "

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I peroxied the coin numerous times and the crusty stuff on the one side wasn't coming off. :help: So, I tried a white vinegar bath and scrub a few times and that worked better. It kind of changed the token color a bit but at this point I just wanted to see the words. It has two columns on one side and the other says, "Good for five cents trade." I can try to post another pic or two.

Thanks for any ID help. :icon_thumleft:
Michiganne

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some better pics after cleaning:

Attachments

• treasure 2009 152.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 152.jpgcomp.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 169
  • treasure 2009 153.jpgcomp.jpg
    treasure 2009 153.jpgcomp.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 198

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so its a token good for 5 cents in trade at at whatever merchant issued it . -- with the moon and star could it be farmer merchant related?

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find Anne, a unique peice of treasure for sure. cleaned up pretty good too :hello2:

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some very interesting finds! :icon_thumright:

M

michigan michael

Very cool hunt! You should make that coin your avatar. Truly unique! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread