Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As much as I dislike hunting the county parks here, I thought I might get out today for a bit. Decided to hunt a tiny county park where several silver dimes have surfaced in the past.
Five minutes in, I swung the coil over a hard silver hit. Didn't think much of it as it could have been a clad quarter at 5-6" or so. Dug the plug and caught a glimpse of a large silver rim. "Nuts!, not another alum token", I thought to myself.
Wow, what a shock! 1903-0 Barber half. How in the world has this thing been missed for so many years?
Had to do a bit of cleaning on this one, as the reverse was heavily tarnished and the few silvers I've dug here have been tarnished real bad, one side of this coin was actually copper-colored and I gave up on the cleaning at a point. The soil in this park is junky and has a rich layer of iron in it.
HH all, still time to get out! FFD

Attachments

• barber half.jpg
    barber half.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 174
  • reverse.jpg
    reverse.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 175

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Nice nab Duane. Congrats on the big hunk of old silver. It all depends on the conditions of the ground. You swear that you have cleaned a place out then go back after a few months or years and find some stuff in spots you swear you covered. Fun stuff.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job D!! way to sniff one out :thumbsup: that stuff is still there, if its a jax co. park, I've prolly been sniffin near it before. glad you got out and scored some silver, very nice :hello2:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I think i would pay that place another visit! :)

Jim 2.0

Nov 10, 2007
Pinckney, MI
Detector(s) used
BH, Prizm IV, Tesoro Cortez!
you continue to dismay me Rambler...wish I had more time, more talent, better equipment...and lived closer to Jackson :laughing7:
seriously, nice big silver...again! Take care, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread