Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but it is really encrusted with stuff bad. I found it near an old mill in a wooded area and the ground is brutal on silver here, last year I found an old seated dime here that was beyond hope, I think I might have to use electrolysis on this one. I used peroxide on it and it took a little off since this photo, now I have it in olive oil but I don't think its gonna do it. I think the old bicycle tag is cool and the razor is a Gillette. The only merc with less amount minted is the 16D.

Attachments

• Nov23.1.JPG
    Nov23.1.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Nov23.2.JPG
    Nov23.2.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 187
  • bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 164

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on the merc. The barber half I just dug had similar crap on it, I ended up using a chemical on it, and a little q-tip work. (silver jewelry cleaner). It helped somewhat.
Being a semi-key date coin, take care with that one. ffd

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Nice find on the Merc! Good Luck on cleaning it up.

Cool Razor. I found one last year, looks about identical, but mine was in two peices a couple of feet apart.

Looks like a pretty good site, good luck!

HH
Mark

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find there! congrats on that rare merc, hope it cleans up good for you :thumbsup:

BandB1

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2008
SE Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Merc, Nice! :thumbsup:

Good luck,
HH.

I've used the salt, water, and tinfoil method(poor mans electrolysis?) to good effect on 2 of my
mercs. Took several plus days, but everytime I changed the solution(almost daily) I
wiped the coin either w/ kleenex or q-tip and the tarnish came off bit by bit.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Nice going on the merc. I like the Kazoo tag too!

M

michigan michael

Congrats on that awesome merc! :icon_thumleft: That coin seems to be a money maker on ebay lately! Very cool find! :headbang:

sirlostalot

Jul 22, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant056 said:
...... I used peroxide on it and it took a little off since this photo, now I have it in olive oil but I don't think its gonna do it. .....

Peroxide and Olive oil is more for the copper coins. I put mine in to Amonia usually cleans the black right off. Someone who's into science more than me said that amonia was a base.. Not sure what he was talking about but I guess its the complete oppisite of acid. But I dont know if I would put that coin into it.

M

michigan michael

sirlostalot said:
Giant056 said:
...... I used peroxide on it and it took a little off since this photo, now I have it in olive oil but I don't think its gonna do it. .....

Peroxide and Olive oil is more for the copper coins. I put mine in to Amonia usually cleans the black right off. Someone who's into science more than me said that amonia was a base.. Not sure what he was talking about but I guess its the complete oppisite of acid. But I dont know if I would put that coin into it.
I use 2 tbl spoons of baking soda, small squirt of dish soap, 2 tble spoons of salt and cook it on the stove top in foil lined pan. I learned that on here. cleaned the black right off. Never tried the Amonia. Might have to give that one a try sometime. Thanks for the new idea sir.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going on the Merc, Giant. :thumbsup: That old bike tag is one neat relic. What era is it?

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread