A couple of intersting finds.

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I thought I would post a few finds from the end of the season. This is the first glass syringe that I have found and it's from the 1800's. It was found in the river when I was digging and sifting. I found the broken piece of the plunger two days after I found the syringe. I found the metal piece with the lever on this summer and didn't think much about and had not cleaned it up until I found out what it was yesterday. I thought I might of thrown it away and I'm glad I didn't. It's called a spring loaded lancet and is used for bloodletting which was a common pratice in the 18th and 19th century. It's the last thing I would of expected to find around here. :icon_scratch: My wife allways asks me why do you keep all that junk, Well now I know why. :thumbsup: The hatband is from the local railroad and the pipe bowl is the smallest one I have ever found. It's a lot of firsts for me so I thought it was worth posting.

Wolverine.

Attachments

• HPIM1038 (2) glass syringe.jpg
    HPIM1038 (2) glass syringe.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 191
  • HPIM1038 (2) glass syringe.jpg
    HPIM1038 (2) glass syringe.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 186

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Very Cool Finds!

That is a very interesting assortment. I'd love to find some of the old medical relics around here! Railroad stuff is always very cool.

We never did get together to hunt this last season. We will need to make a point of getting out next spring. I'm working on some very nice, and fresh new sites for spring.

Good Luck, and stay warm!

Mark

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought that they used leaches for bloodletting back then! Either way awesome relics including that syringe. I can't believe that survived time. Love the old glass! ffd

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool assortment of finds you have there. Nice job! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Mich. Wolverine

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Thanks for the comments everyone. They also used leaches for bloodletting and even made ceramic containers that say leaches on them.
P.S. The age of the lancet that I found is from the 1850's.

Wolverine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread