Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a local coin dealer near me buys big bags of silver at melt value and occasionally I'll stop in and sift through them looking for key dates. he gives them to me at 13 times face which in this case with this walker is $6.50. I also pulled a 1842 seated liberty out of a bag of dimes $1.30 ;D
anyway, a 1917d walker with the mintmark on the obverse, redbook says EF $240. how would you grade this one? had to share with you guys...

Attachments

• 1917d walker.jpg
    1917d walker.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 1917d walker back.jpg
    1917d walker back.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 288

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Um, how about XF/AU? Excellent grab! Do not sell!!! $$ goes up with each passing year. Maybe pay to have it graded and slabbed? Congrats! D

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent score on that beauty :thumbsup: I've never given more than face value for a coin since I was in cubscouts but I'd have to go for it on something like that.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score bro.
I can't wait to dig one of those suckers! ;D

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
He actually let you walk out of his store with that for $6.50?? Unbelievable... I'd grade that one pretty high... at least a $150+ coin...

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
elusion said:
He actually let you walk out of his store with that for $6.50?? Unbelievable... I'd grade that one pretty high... at least a $150+ coin...
yeah I know, the place is usually hoppin and he has a couple of ding bat girls working the counter who never even look at what I have, he just says up front 13 times face and they pull there calculator out and charge me. I'll have to post a picture of the seated dime I pulled out yesterday too. its worn but worth at least 20 bucks. thanks for looking all, Griff

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Ahh, I just hope for your sake your coin dealer isn't an avid Tnet reader!
I'd hate to see you lose the great winter hunting spot.

Good Luck,
Mark

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
Ahh, I just hope for your sake your coin dealer isn't an avid Tnet reader!
I'd hate to see you lose the great winter hunting spot.

Good Luck,
Mark
yeah that would suck, but he knows I find goodies in there and I dont think he minds too much. I give him any nice star notes that I come across as a balancing gesture. heres a pic of the dime I pulled out of a big bag of rosies and mercs.

Attachments

• 1842 dime.jpg
    1842 dime.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 230

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple sweet deals. That Walker is great! :thumbsup: Congrats on your source.

elusion

Oct 11, 2005
SE, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Explorer II, Tesoro Tiger Shark
postalgriff said:
elusion said:
yeah I know, the place is usually hoppin and he has a couple of ding bat girls working the counter who never even look at what I have, he just says up front 13 times face and they pull there calculator out and charge me. I'll have to post a picture of the seated dime I pulled out yesterday too. its worn but worth at least 20 bucks. thanks for looking all, Griff

lol! More power to you man... I'd spend the $20 to get it professionally graded.. From the pics it almost looks AU.. which would bump it to $325.. Gorgeous walker...

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I've never seen such exquisite detail on a Walker. Nice going pg! :icon_thumleft:

HH

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Congrats for sure!
I think it will grade lower than the gang here is thinking. Notice the high spot ( thigh and calf) under the dress. The lines on the calf area of the leg are all but gone. EF-40 calls for all lines to be bold.
Even VF-20 says the skirt lines are sharp even leg area. Not trying to burst any bubbles or make enemies, just wanted to let you know so in case a dealer tells you otherwise. No matter what it is a great find. Honestly I never seen a walker with the mint on the obverse! Congrats buddy! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
postalgriff

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike from MI said:
Awesome find! Congrats for sure!
I think it will grade lower than the gang here is thinking. Notice the high spot ( thigh and calf) under the dress. The lines on the calf area of the leg are all but gone. EF-40 calls for all lines to be bold.
Even VF-20 says the skirt lines are sharp even leg area. Not trying to burst any bubbles or make enemies, just wanted to let you know so in case a dealer tells you otherwise. No matter what it is a great find. Honestly I never seen a walker with the mint on the obverse! Congrats buddy! :icon_thumleft:
yeah I read that too, but I'm wondering if maybe the front is worn a little more than the back. look at these pics I found on ebay of a anacs graded EF walker. especially the back there are hardly any wear marks on the feathers of the eagle on the one I have.

Attachments

• 1917d walker back.jpg
    1917d walker back.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 190
  • !BhfSiM!!mk~$(KGrHqYOKi4Erzu!HI5kBLJWcFNk5g~~_12.jpg
    !BhfSiM!!mk~$(KGrHqYOKi4Erzu!HI5kBLJWcFNk5g~~_12.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 215
  • !BhfSku!BWk~$(KGrHqIOKiIErysn2NJgBLJWcM4hww~~_12.jpg
    !BhfSku!BWk~$(KGrHqIOKiIErysn2NJgBLJWcM4hww~~_12.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 216
  • !BhfSjU!CGk~$(KGrHqUOKiEEryjidLy5BLJWcIvQlQ~~_12.jpg
    !BhfSjU!CGk~$(KGrHqUOKiEEryjidLy5BLJWcIvQlQ~~_12.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 204
  • !BhfSmm!B2k~$(KGrHqIOKiIErysn2NJgBLJWcTEv2w~~_12.jpg
    !BhfSmm!B2k~$(KGrHqIOKiIErysn2NJgBLJWcTEv2w~~_12.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 1917d walker back.jpg
    1917d walker back.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 201

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that the FeeBay half sold for some serious money....the half you found is as nice or better. Do not sell! I repeat, do not sell! ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread