meteorite found!

pitbull1111

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2010
me and my girlfriend where walking are dogs at a park and i noticed something that just kinda stuck out. so i picked it up and it was extreamly heavy for its size. it had little dents in it and had some rust and tiny specks of silvery stuff, which i figured out later was nickle. it is about the diameter of a quarter and about 3/4 of an inch high and weighs 18.1 grams! its my first meteorite found and i wasnt even expecting to find one. has anyone else found any of these in michigan?

Attachments

• 0109001823a.jpg
    0109001823a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 780

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find ! Do you have a better picture? :coffee2:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure that's not petrified doggie-do? Seriously, what Rando said, have it looked at by a professional, might be legit....

OP
OP
P

pitbull1111

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2010
its definatly a meteorite! it looks almost identical to the one on meteorite-idenification.com its highly magnetic, dosent leaves streaks on back of tile(i tested it on the underside of toilet cover) and also you can clearly see the rust,dents and nickle sparkles in it. also found a local semi expert in meteorites George and confirmed it was a iron/nickel meteorite. ill get some pics with my digital tomarrow of it. idk what your cat must be eating to be dropping stuff of that magnitude ;)

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think most of have found what we thought was one, but later found out it was slag or something else. If you have a real one I would detect that area a lot! The are quite valuable!
Congrats!

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
O.K i have a rock that looks like a meteorite but never had it I.D its in storage but ill try to get a picture up soon ive never seen a rock like this in michigan i found it in a weird way i was driving out in the middle of (Kent City) no where when nature called and I stopped found it in a full corn field while in the crouched position

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That's cool, I think every hunter has a meteorite on their wishlist of things to find. Good luck with the testing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread