One little Indian, and a Streetcar Named Desire?

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
So, realizing this is very very early to be hunting soft ground without snow cover in Northern Michigan, I went out for an hour or so after work last night and the night before. Jonesing just to be swinging a coil, and feeling a bit rusty after so long......

Night one I found a 1928 wheatie, a couple of shotgun shells and some quality junque. I did this at the park that is where the fairgrounds was. Happy just to have a coin of any kind in my bag!

Last night I drove over to the old picnic grove. The temp was a solid 8 degrees lower than it was in town, and there were still bits of snow here and there! Early on I found a little toy, looks like a streetcar to me. Looks like an old Cracker Jack tootsie toy, but this one is hollow? Haven't really cleaned it much in the picture here, I'll need to gently take a toothbrush to it I guess. As I was getting ready to leave I got a sweet penny signal, and pulled up a 1906 Indian from about 7 inches.

No silver yet, but I haven't even started on my new spots yet. It's early, but at least we are out there swinging coils again!

Good Luck,
Mark

Attachments

• Indian and streetcar 3-16-10a.jpg
    Indian and streetcar 3-16-10a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Indian and streetcar 3-16-10b.jpg
    Indian and streetcar 3-16-10b.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 175

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Nice to get out...eh! Great looking Indian.....Dont know how large your train car is.I found one that looked very similar...about one inch long.Scripted "Radio Flyer" under windows.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mark. This has been an awesome run of great weather in northern Michigan, but it looks like the bubble is gonna break on us in a few days. Will be out tomorrow and Friday before the big temp drop.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Mark! Love the Indian and the street car! :icon_thumleft:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mark nice finds! I got a street car (rust included) like that my first year detecting. I stopped by the fairgrounds 2 days ago and got a 1919 wheat right by the parking lots.

Where were you yesterday around noon? I was hunting the beach in C and stopped by the Dewitt house to show ya a 'little' something but you weren't there.

I'll put it up in another post.

Take care my friend

Tom

DanMI

May 26, 2007
Sweet Indian Mark. I like the streetcar too. It is nice to be getting out. HH dan

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them are some excellent finds there Mark :thumbsup: The coins are in great shape too, I've never dug a trolley car before but I've dug some trolley tokens

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Thanks Everyone!

Tried to gently clean up the streetcar. It was very red, and part of it came apart as I was afraid it would.

Tom,
That is quite a ring you found! Wow!
I will be in Charlevoix tomorrow at 108 Park Avenue. That is the house that they are going to burn for the movie that they are filming there. The house is 140 years old. A shame that it is going to be destroyed, but we are salvaging as much of it as we can before they burn it next week. I will make another attempt to see if anything of interest can be found in the basement.
I sifted some of the sand on the floor, and discovered that under a foot of sand is a wood floor! If I can cut and peel up some of that flooring, just maybe.......!

Hoping to get out early next week and swing my coil over some of the new spots I've found. Or maybe at Tom's Old Fairgrounds!

Have a great weekend!

Wishing all of you good luck, and looking forward to posts of your finds over the weekend!

HH

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread