Large Canadian Cent, and a great find of old photo of the Fairgrounds!

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Well, I walked out of the restroom in a country store/restaurant/bakery in another county and couldn't believe my eyes!
There on the wall was a 6" x 38" picture of the fairgrounds I hunt, taken during the fair of 1919! I've been through all the photos I could find in our museum, and every other photo collection I know of, and never found any pics of the fairgrounds that showed more than a couple of people, or a few animals.
I think my wife thought I was nuts. I stood there outside the restroom with my nose burried in the photo. It was just so cool. In walked the owner of the store, whom I know. I dragged him over to the photo to ask about it's history. He asked if I wanted to make a copy, and then handed me the pic! It is off to the photo lab for scan and duplicating, but I took some pics of it first.

So, I just had to make a trip there to swing the coil a little! I only had about 45 minutes, but snagged a 1905 Large Canadian Cent, only my second ever. It's in pretty tough shape, but I was happy just to pull a hundred plus year old coin after staring at the picture for an hour or so!

Good Luck,

Mark

Attachments

• fairgrounds 1919 a.jpg
    fairgrounds 1919 a.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 267
  • fairgrounds 1919 b.jpg
    fairgrounds 1919 b.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 273
  • fairgrounds 1919 c.jpg
    fairgrounds 1919 c.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Fairgrounds 1926 map.jpg
    Fairgrounds 1926 map.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 3-10  Canadian lg cent a.jpg
    3-10 Canadian lg cent a.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 274
  • 3-10 Canadian lg cent b.jpg
    3-10 Canadian lg cent b.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 276

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat post. Love the pics! WTg on the CLC. :icon_thumleft:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man Mark those pics are really cool! I know what you mean too about having your nose in something like that and having the wife think you're nuts. Great pics, and congrats on that Canadian LC, I have yet to dig one of those. :thumbsup: HH, Griff

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool pic! One of those old panoramic types. We have one of my wife's grandfather's strawberry farm in California from 1935. It is almost 4 feet wide. The technology in the pano-camera was very ingenious! The film would move as the camera panned on the tripod.

DCMatt

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool pics, amazing how people dressed in suits and dresses to go to the fair! everyone in black it looks more like a funeral

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those pictures are very cool. Congrats on the CLC!! :icon_thumleft:

craigv3

Jan 2, 2010
GRASS LAKE
Detector(s) used
Deus,Makro CF77, Minelab Etrac, Teknetics T2SE, 2 excel II's, and a Tigershark
MAN,,,,love the picture and the large cent!!! We need to get together and hunt some spots this summer!!!! I am due for a trip to Kalkaska to see my Brother.....We can plan it around that :headbang:

"Z"

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the Canadian Large Cent :thumbsup: neat pics of the old fairgrounds. Kalamazoo's fairgrounds is now off limits according to what I've heard and I have an Idea one of the main people that ruined it for everyone. Knowing this goof he probably started digging for bottles in the pits on the race track, it's too bad people have to be so inconsiderate of their actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread