Looking for some advice...

kkbroker

Oct 2, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading posts on this site for nearly 3 years and after much thought, I asked the better half for a metal detector for Christmas. Since she knows about as much as I do about them (which isn't much), I got the next best thing...cash and permission. :headbang: So...here is what I am looking at.

I figure most of my detecting to begin with will be spent on the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan seeing as how we vacation often at the state parks along the shoreline. Although I live in an area with homes (including mine) that were built in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Also a half mile from a stream that flows into the Grand River where there was a mill run and according to some old maps, many homesteads that are no longer there.

I have about $500 to spend. Here are my questions...

1) Do I need a detector that will work in both water and land like the Viper Hybrid or Hybrid Trident? Or should I look at something like the Garret GTAx or Ace 350 and figure out how to hunt on solid ground before I get my feet wet so to speak. Other recommendations on a unit?

2). Coil size/shape?

3). Anyone know of a local place in W. Michigan that I could purchase from or am I better searching for a deal on-line like Kellyco or direct from a manufacturer?

Thanks for your help. I look forward to posting some sweet finds some day for you all to admire and comment on. Best wishes for a prosperous New Year.

Kevin

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well there the AT pro -- which can handle shallow water as well as land hunting * --cost about $600

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would recogmend a pro shop

If you go to a multi line dealer, you can try several different machines and get some hands on demonstration.

There is a dealer in Plainwell, Mich and also in Cassopolis, Mich. not sure about the GR area.

Steve :-)

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the ones you mentioned, go with the Garrett. Most can go in the water (coil and shaft)
Not the control box. If you wish to water detect you can get one that is waterproof and you still can use it on land. Check out one of the biggest clubs in the US. Southwest Michigan Seek & Search club.
swmss.org We meet in Plainwell the third Tuesday every month at 7 pm. Go with the dealer in Plainwell call Al at 269-685-1776. He can help you out.

Any other questions just holler.

Mike Walker

President - SWMSS club

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
keep away from the ones made in China! Stick with any major brand name and you will do just fine :thumbsup:

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
It sounds like your doing research to do some land hunting but want to do some water hunting too. I have been using a fisher 1266 (land detector) for 8 years and it has seen as much time in the water as on land. I was detecting in the river today for 3 hours and it worked fine even in the cold weather. I can put the coil and shaft in the water but can't get the box wet. It can still do both and don't have a weighted coil like on the minelab excaliber. I'm not telling you to buy a certain brand because there are a lot of good ones so I would go to a dealer to try some out and see what one you like. Good luck in you search. :thumbsup:

Wolverine.

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
You should set aside some of that for a pinpointer. Hunting can be pretty hard without one.

Also, since it's winter, you might try being patient and follow posts on Ebay. Joining that club is a good idea. Members will have hands on knowledge of different machines. Also, some of them might be trading up over the winter, which might present some buying opportunities.

Good luck......it's a great hobby.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
since you're just starting out, I would recommend the Garrett Ace 250. it's lightweight, very accurate, relatively inexpensive, around 215.00, and for the money has a lot of the features of the high dollar models.
also buy a garrett pinpointer, it can save you a lot of time, and a good digger like a lesche and that should still leave you with enough to get a pouch of some sort.
good luck and let us know what you decide

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
How about a used '73 Jetco Mustang? Cheep? See if I can dig it out. Kidding....those White's XLT's seem to be great machines, wish I would've bought one before I got that DFX.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
since you're just starting out, I would recommend the Garrett Ace 250. it's lightweight, very accurate, relatively inexpensive, around 215.00, and for the money has a lot of the features of the high dollar models.
also buy a garrett pinpointer, it can save you a lot of time, and a good digger like a lesche and that should still leave you with enough to get a pouch of some sort.

Good advice here. Garrett has also come out with an Ace 350 that runs a bit more. Definitely a good digger and the Garrett Propointer, if you have the resources. I hunted without a pinpointer the first 1.5 years and now couldn't hunt without it. Saves a TON of time which allows you to dig more holes = more treasure. :icon_pirat:

Good luck!

HH

OP
OP
kkbroker

kkbroker

Oct 2, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom and wit. Please keep them coming. The pinpointer is definately on the list. I will keep you posted as to what I decide to do.

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan mentioned the Garrett AT Pro. I started with an ace250 and upgraded to a minelab. I miss that lil yellow machine. I am planing on snatching that AT Pro soon. Water and land from a company like Garrett for under $600. Cant beat it. I seen it picking 1/4 gram nuggets on a bench test at 4" If you want to start out a lil cheaper than I would have to agree with whoever said grab the ACE250! Good luck, cant wait to see what you find. :icon_thumleft:

Bobby Bridge

Jun 17, 2010
Center Line M I
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my eye on the AT pro. It's new and the hole machine can go under water up to 10'. Under water head phones are extra.
Last year for $500 I bought the Fisher F 5 it was and still is the the best for me. Good luck!
It's still winter here and you can spend some quality time doing research on what will fit you best, and maby put away a few more bucks still :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread