Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an invite to go hunt an old one room school house with Shawano and Neal. The owner said tons of people had hunted it and that we could also.
We got started and it did't take too long to find a wheat penny. After a while but I picked up several doo-dads and now had 8 wheats in my pouch.
I decided to try another spot in the yard and got a deep coin tone. About 8" down out pops a wheat. Re checking the hole and beep! Well this kept on going till I had 4 wheats, an early Canadian penny, and an Indian head. WOOO HOOOO! Nice pocket spill. About 8 feet from there I nabbed another Indian head.
Then I checked another area and got a shallow wheat signal. I noticed the coin was about 5" deep and wondered why that wheat gave such a strong signal. It was because there was 2 more wheats, and another Indian in the hole! Cool!! anther pocket spill! Ok now it is getting near time to go, and like many we say just one more keeper! I went back over where I had found the 6 coin spill, and maybe 15" from there I get deep coin tone. Down we dig and I see silver in the hole! Out pops a silver war nickel, with a green on it. You know what that means. Yep another coin was on top of it. It was another wheat. I found some neat buttons, half of a crotal bell and some other items. One of the neat buttons in an old Post Office Department button. I am going to get a date on it as it is in nice shape with a good back mark. Sure was fun hanging with some friends digging some oldies again! My camera battery was dieing so I only could get two quick shots. Might get close ups later. Total coins, 16 wheats, 3 Indians, one silver war nickel, and an early Canadian penny. Not a bad day!

Attachments

• DSC03050.JPG
    DSC03050.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC03051.JPG
    DSC03051.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,207

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! :icon_thumright: super hunt...multiple spills has got to be sweet! You always clean up nice after a place has been hunted :icon_thumleft: That Post office button steals though the show for me! congrats on a great hunt Mike!

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Mike, I've had the pleasure of hunting three of the areas old school yards. One had so much trash it was difficult to hunt and turned up nothing of interest. Another 1-roomer yielded absolutely nothing-not even a pop top and the third I think I mentioned gave up two 1890's quarters :icon_thumleft:. On a side note, Thanks again for a terrific meeting for a first timer with SWMSS - I esspecially like the good eats but shouldn't expect a spread like that 'til next year. HH

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mjc_lakedweller said:
Way to go Mike, I've had the pleasure of hunting three of the areas old school yards. One had so much trash it was difficult to hunt and turned up nothing of interest. Another 1-roomer yielded absolutely nothing-not even a pop top and the third I think I mentioned gave up two 1890's quarters :icon_thumleft:. On a side note, Thanks again for a terrific meeting for a first timer with SWMSS - I esspecially like the good eats but shouldn't expect a spread like that 'til next year. HH

Glad you came to the meeting and signed up as a member. There are now at least 4 of us here that post regularly and belong to the SWMSS Club. We always have snacks, but Thanksgiving and Christmas is always a big time spread. Wait till you see our find of the month slide show that we usually have.

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on the swmss web site I've seen previous months where pics are taken of every entry in each category. I was a little disappointed that the slide show wasn't at this months but I totally understand cuz there was ALOT going on. I am currently building a display case and depending how it turns out I may offer it at next meeting to raise $$ for us-is that something that usually goes on? I love working with wood (yet another passion!). I here the snow is a comin' so our days may truely be numbered.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice digs, Mike! :icon_thumleft: WTG on the multiple spills. Love the POD button...is that Mr. McFeely on there? :laughing7:

HH

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michiganne said:
Super nice digs, Mike! :icon_thumleft: WTG on the multiple spills. Love the POD button...is that Mr. McFeely on there? :laughing7:

HH

Mr McFeely must be before my time? :dontknow: Nope it is my friend Neal! :icon_thumright:

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs Mike - Congrats on finding the Indians, War Nic and Wheaties! :hello2: Gotta be some more Silver there! Cool button and bell too. WTG :thumbsup:

Sluice Box

Jan 1, 2012
The cold north
Detector(s) used
ACE 150, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, what an awesome find! You got some nice looking coins there! Good for you man!

Sluice Box

tokensmith

Aug 8, 2007
Am I missing something? Near as I can tell, there hasn't been a new slide show on the SWMSS website since last May.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread