HOW DO YOU INTERPRET THIS ???

kkbroker

Oct 2, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you need a license to MD in a city park...then after you get your license you can't dig if you have a metal detector? Why should I get a license then?

Sec. 32-107. - License required.

No person shall operate or possess a metal detector in any public park or on any public school property in the city unless such person shall first apply for and obtain a license from the city clerk. A licensee under this article shall carry such license on his or her person at all times while operating or possessing a metal detector in a public park or on public school property.

(Code 1962, § 3-1702)
Sec. 32-108. - Administration.

The application, issuance, denial, renewal, expiration, transfer, revocation, suspension, and fees required for the metal detector's license shall be governed by chapter 21 of this Code.

(Code 1962, § 3-1703)
Sec. 32-109. - Destruction of property.

No person shall dig up, pull, rake, trample, disturb, or damage any grass, flower, tree, bush, or plant in any public park or on any public school property, through the use of a metal detector, rake, shovel, spade, or any other device, or by hand.

??? :icon_scratch: ???

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, its good to see that you looked into regulations before heading out.
Second, WTF-It makes NO sense what-so-ever.
Perhaps you should point this out to the city, however, its sounds like the only change they would make is to outlaw it all together!
Good luck on that one man.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Trample or disturb! Must need to hover above grass without touching with your feet.
Proper plugs would be my only concern. Address complaints by explaining its for aeration.
Guess i,m lucky around here!

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See. It's hard to legislate responsibility. I see it as a city permiting metal detecting but trying to protect its property from the dingbats who don't cover their holes or give a $hit about anyone else. They're out there. They're among us and they make it harder for everyone.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What city and state is that? My guess is that they expect you not to recover items below the surface. Only items you can pick up in the grass with your fingers.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all
i think i would get the permit and just go.
i would do as usual and leave the place as well as it was when i got there
or better. if anyone does gripe have the permit ready and also make sure it dont say no diggin on the permit
thats a big one
lots of luck to you
HH

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you need to find some private property to search,with permission of course.Laws are so ludicrous.

OP
OP
kkbroker

kkbroker

Oct 2, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What city and state is that? My guess is that they expect you not to recover items below the surface. Only items you can pick up in the grass with your fingers.

Grand Haven, MI

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they try to make it so confusing that you will get discouraged and just not pursue it

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Grand Haven, That doesn't surprise me. I live 8 miles north in Norton Shores. Of course you have a nice Lake Michigan beach to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread