Another 1850s/60s Field Site Dig - GBP/G2

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted another 1850s/60s field site yesterday - this time where a cabin once stood

had the trusty Gold Bug Pro / G2 with me again :-)

As usual - it was completely iron infested - every swing was iron popping/grunting and grueling but I did pull a few good finds!

Cabin spike
Horse bridal rosette
a few buckles
reeds
suspender clips
flatted thimble
toe tap
buttons
1879 Indian Head
etc.

<center><center><center>

Last edited:

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Lonewolfe,

First off, cool finds. Great looking Indian.

I've been hunting a few old field sites as well. I see the large Iron item that I assume is what you label a "Cabin Spike."

Uhh...Is that the real name for it? I've found a few of those this year at these old sites, which date to the same approximate time period. I just assumed they were broken off from more modern farming equipment.

What were cabin spikes used for?

DH24

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonewolfe,

First off, cool finds. Great looking Indian.

I've been hunting a few old field sites as well. I see the large Iron item that I assume is what you label a "Cabin Spike."

Uhh...Is that the real name for it? I've found a few of those this year at these old sites, which date to the same approximate time period. I just assumed they were broken off from more modern farming equipment.

What were cabin spikes used for?

DH24

Yep

that is the "real" name for the iron spike

if you're finding them in fields - you're either ON or very close to where the cabin once stood

they were used to spike the logs of the cabins together mainly in the corners to help hold it secure

some are longer/skinnier than the one shown above (and/or more rounded)

they almost resemble R&R spikes but they are different - if you compared a cabin spike next to a R&R spike -
you'd see the difference (length is one of the main differences) as is the more pointed end of it.

Last edited:

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
For sure. I will take a pic and put it on here to see if its the same. Both spots I found them were also littered with broken glass, pottery, nails, iron, etc. So I know I am right there.

DH24

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet looking Indian!! :thumbsup: Nice assortment of relics too - I like the cabin spike - never done much field hunting but would like to with some research. WTG

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds lonewolfe, that looks like my kind of hunt. :icon_thumright: Congrats on the bridle rosette, toe plate, suspender clips and other nice relics. IH too.:thumbsup: Good history on the cabin spike.

Did any of the suspender clips have patent dates on them?

Keep digging!

HH

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds lonewolfe, that looks like my kind of hunt. :icon_thumright: Congrats on the bridle rosette, toe plate, suspender clips and other nice relics. IH too.:thumbsup: Good history on the cabin spike.

Did any of the suspender clips have patent dates on them?

Keep digging!

HH

No dates on the clips but one does have this exact lettering and 2 stars on it in order as shown >> * CH. GUYOT *

I know he was a suspender clip/buckle maker but that's all I know about him/it

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread