just wonderin

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was just wonderin if anyone has ever found anything cool near the saginaw bay area?

I grew up over in that area and lived there until my early 30s

I used to hunt saginaw/baycity and the midland areas for a good 15 yrs and found/seen some good stuff dug along the way.

I got into detecting at 14 yrs old while meeting a guy on Ojibwa Island that I asked what he was doing --- he said "metal detecting" and showed me a handful of coins/items dug on the island that day and when I seen the Walking Liberty 1/2 dollar sitting there in his hand - that was it for me and I ran down to purchase my 1st detector and the rest was/is history! lol

Do your research on the area - it has a LOT of history and has a lot of good places to hunt.

One no no is the state park though - detectors are off limits in the park/on the beach - if caught they'll confiscate your equipment and fine you.

Here's a good lead/tip though - Tony's Park was a small amusement park for kids on State Park Drive, c. 50s, 60s, & 70s. It was on the north end of State Park Dr. between the park and where Mussel Beach Ice Cream now stands. (Start Park Dr. and Euclid on the corner).

Also

Wenonah Beach was a large amusement park located where the Wenonah Beach Trailer Park now stands, between the mouths of the Kawkawlin & Saginaw Rivers. It opened in the late 1800s, and catered to some of the biggest names in show business at the time. It drew many wealthy people from Chicago & Detroit.

HH and good luck out there
:headbang:

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was very nice of you lonewolfe, to not only share locations, but some history as well. Hope bcbill uses your tips. State Parks are funny, ours(Lakeport) on Lake Huron list Metal detecting as a "activity to enjoy", during your stay. Over 700 acres I belive
I grew up over in that area and lived there until my early 30s

I used to hunt saginaw/baycity and the midland areas for a good 15 yrs and found/seen some good stuff dug along the way.

I got into detecting at 14 yrs old while meeting a guy on Ojibwa Island that I asked what he was doing --- he said "metal detecting" and showed me a handful of coins/items dug on the island that day and when I seen the Walking Liberty 1/2 dollar sitting there in his hand - that was it for me and I ran down to purchase my 1st detector and the rest was/is history! lol

Do your research on the area - it has a LOT of history and has a lot of good places to hunt.

One no no is the state park though - detectors are off limits in the park/on the beach - if caught they'll confiscate your equipment and fine you.

Here's a good lead/tip though - Tony's Park was a small amusement park for kids on State Park Drive, c. 50s, 60s, & 70s. It was on the north end of State Park Dr. between the park and where Mussel Beach Ice Cream now stands. (Start Park Dr. and Euclid on the corner).

Also

Wenonah Beach was a large amusement park located where the Wenonah Beach Trailer Park now stands, between the mouths of the Kawkawlin & Saginaw Rivers. It opened in the late 1800s, and catered to some of the biggest names in show business at the time. It drew many wealthy people from Chicago & Detroit.

HH and good luck out there
:headbang:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread