flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hows everyone making it thru this seems like long winter already, the 18 inches of new snow we got last week was very depressing , but between looking for new sites and snow removal, i did find a wind blown area to swing and turn up a clad quarter, just hope I can hold it to together until spring. :BangHead:

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - spring can not come soon enough :icon_sunny:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready for spring but will likely endure the cold to feed the itch!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing but O.T. seven days a week - I work outside...cant handle the inside temps - if it's over 65 degrees - TOO HOT!

I do a bit of roll hunting during the winter. Not a couple here and there, but thousands of rolls! Keeps the silver flowing - I spend maybe 6 hours a month searching, if that, and end up with a pile.

Otherwise, light research, and a lot of blogging.

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the itch as well but, I sent my AT Pro to Garrett to have them fix. The housing was coming off the shaft. After looking at it there are two small screws that go through a plastic cylinder and then through the shaft. Seems to me that the design is flawed-too weak. In comparison, my ACE 350 also has two screws to hold it on the shaft but also relies on a curved bottom on the housing to help hold it in place. Hoping to get it back shortly as it was sent in just after the new year.
Sounds like another cold spell is coming which means even if you find a clearing the ground will be too frozen to break. C'mon SPRiNG

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the itch as well but, I sent my AT Pro to Garrett to have them fix. The housing was coming off the shaft. After looking at it there are two small screws that go through a plastic cylinder and then through the shaft. Seems to me that the design is flawed-too weak. In comparison, my ACE 350 also has two screws to hold it on the shaft but also relies on a curved bottom on the housing to help hold it in place. Hoping to get it back shortly as it was sent in just after the new year.
Sounds like another cold spell is coming which means even if you find a clearing the ground will be too frozen to break. C'mon SPRiNG
I need to send my back not sure what's going on but there is a line that goes right across the read out , looks like the cover is cracked but it's not think there might be some moisture getting into the housing .

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett was really cool about everything. I would give them a call and see if you can't send it in. What you're describing does sound like moisture is getting in especially since you say there is a "line" appearing in display. Give 'em a call. It's not like you're going to be using it in the weather now and you'll want your AT Pro to be at 100% come spring. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck Rob

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This morning, -15, high today 11 A foot of snow on the ground, I have had enough! Forecast, below zero every night, into next week uhh!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I came close to losing fingers to frostbite at work yesterday...wow that was cold...outside all day every day...if you work outside be careful in these temps..

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring sure seems a long way off , stay warm everybody and fistfulladirt better keep those fingers warm going to need them this spring !

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett was really cool about everything. I would give them a call and see if you can't send it in. What you're describing does sound like moisture is getting in especially since you say there is a "line" appearing in display. Give 'em a call. It's not like you're going to be using it in the weather now and you'll want your AT Pro to be at 100% come spring. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck Rob
well called Garrett they said it was just the sticker that came loose and said I could fix it myself so they are sending me one , so every thing should be ready to go!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well called Garrett they said it was just the sticker that came loose and said I could fix it myself so they are sending me one , so every thing should be ready to go!

I was handed the same BS last summer --- turned out that water got into the unit either thru the battery compartment or where the face plate connects to the main housing.

Those are the 2 weak spots of the AT's and they've had many (I"ve heard 1000s) of problems/returns because of it. Very poor design...

I sent mine in and they had to rebuild the entire machine with a new mother board and all - took 3.5 weeks from the day I sent it in until it arrived back to me.

I kept telling them it wasn't the "front sticker/face plate sticker" and that it had moister inside -- the thing wouldn't pin point, wouldn't ground bal, went nuts when turned on 1/2 the time and sometimes would turn on by itself!

Finally they had me send it in. Luckily I barely missed the deadline of warranty expiration by like 2 weeks!

The best thing you can do is use a silicon based jelly on all connections/O rings and on the battery compartment rubber ring, and then run a thin bead of clear silicone (silicone - not silicon as there is a difference) around the face-plate where it connects to the housing to help keep water from entering the machine while using it in water/rain. It's still not a guarantee but it does help a lot.

I'm on my 3rd ATP now in just 4 yrs due to water leakage and/or some other issue/s.

My last CZ20 I purchased is 18 yrs old now and has never had one single thing go wrong with it and is still going strong. Back in those days Fisher had lifetime guaranties --- they still give 5 yrs on their new machines --- funny how the ATP's/Golds and all Garretts only have "2" yr warranties...

Last edited:
OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was handed the same BS last summer --- turned out that water got into the unit either thru the battery compartment or where the face plate connects to the main housing.

Those are the 2 weak spots of the AT's and they've had many (I"ve heard 1000s) of problems/returns because of it. Very poor design...

I sent mine in and they had to rebuild the entire machine with a new mother board and all - took 3.5 weeks from the day I sent it in until it arrived back to me.

I kept telling them it wasn't the "front sticker/face plate sticker" and that it had moister inside -- the thing wouldn't pin point, wouldn't ground bal, went nuts when turned on 1/2 the time and sometimes would turn on by itself!

Finally they had me send it in. Luckily I barely missed the deadline of warranty expiration by like 2 weeks!

The best thing you can do is use a silicon based jelly on all connections/O rings and on the battery compartment rubber ring, and then run a thin bead of clear silicone (silicone - not silicon as there is a difference) around the face-plate where it connects to the housing to help keep water from entering the machine while using it in water/rain. It's still not a guarantee but it does help a lot.

I'm on my 3rd ATP now in just 4 yrs due to water leakage and/or some other issue/s.

My last CZ20 I purchased is 18 yrs old now and has never had one single thing go wrong with it and is still going strong. Back in those days Fisher had lifetime guaranties --- they still give 5 yrs on their new machines --- funny how the ATP's/Golds and all Garretts only have "2" yr warranties...

Well if it is moisture it will get sent back, good thing I have a back up ATPro , but I do think your right because the last 2 times out was in the rain and that's when it showed up , planning on getting a Etrac or DX this spring , not sure which one yet!

riced

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never roll hunted. Do you just walk into the bank and buy bunch of coins then roll/return them when you are finished searching?
Ever find anything worthwhile?
Thanks

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll boUght some new toys for metal detecting, got a set of Gray Ghost headphones , a Garrett trowel , they are really nice , if you want a good digger you need to check it out , a new pin pointer , then 2 days later I won one from Big Boys Hobby , if you have been there in a while need to check it out , a lot of good giveaways. Just need this snow to melt in a hurry!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Shovel,shovel,plow,plow. Did order some rapoo headphones and an additional volume control to try wireless. Hit 9 foot height on some piles in the yard. Usually take the plow off day before St. Patrick's day so am hoping end of month to see an open spot off the blacktop somewhere...

OP
OP
flakefinder

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shovel,shovel,plow,plow. Did order some rapoo headphones and an additional volume control to try wireless. Hit 9 foot height on some piles in the yard. Usually take the plow off day before St. Patrick's day so am hoping end of month to see an open spot off the blacktop somewhere...

I sure hope you get to take that plow off soon and we start seeing more grass , because I am going nuts !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread