Its been a long winter...

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Hey all,

Been awhile since I've been on here. Starting to get that itch to detect again.

However, anyone thinking that after this bitter cold winter...it may be a bit longer until the ground thaws?

I'm starting to think it will be sometime in April before were all out digging with as cold as its been outside.

Damn...I sure hope not, but I gotta believe that ground is frozen pretty deep!

DH24

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome back DH.
Local news here says the frost line is 4' deep in places...hope for an early thaw and that's' the best we can do.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got about 10 -12 inches of snow, just before the Polar Vortex hit, and it got bitter cold. Thank goodness, because snow is a good insulator. That cold with no snow cover, would have been worse. It will be a while before all this snow is gone, and its snowing again, with more forecast for morning..................uhg, cant wait for mud!!

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if my detector could reach thru the 4 feet of snow on the ground here i would be set, our frost line is about 4-6 inches where i am due to the snow and a sand soil. Sadly tho i know this because last week my dog who has been with me for 14 years passed peacfully in her sleep with me at her side at home. I went out and dug her a grave next two her two buddies whom we have also lost one last fall and one a few years back. after removing 4 foot of snow i started with the pick axe determined to get the job done and almost buried it on the first swing was only frozen about 5 inches or so, turned out to be an easy dig and she now has a new resting place with her packmates. It was a sad moment but she had bad arthritis and she was stating to get alot of huge bumps wich i suspect were tumors so im glad she went out with her boots on but not in pain.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if my detector could reach thru the 4 feet of snow on the ground here i would be set, our frost line is about 4-6 inches where i am due to the snow and a sand soil. Sadly tho i know this because last week my dog who has been with me for 14 years passed peacfully in her sleep with me at her side at home. I went out and dug her a grave next two her two buddies whom we have also lost one last fall and one a few years back. after removing 4 foot of snow i started with the pick axe determined to get the job done and almost buried it on the first swing was only frozen about 5 inches or so, turned out to be an easy dig and she now has a new resting place with her packmates. It was a sad moment but she had bad arthritis and she was stating to get alot of huge bumps wich i suspect were tumors so im glad she went out with her boots on but not in pain.

Sorry for your loss , but glad to hear the ground is only frozen 5 inches down was hoping the snow was insulating it . Be Glad you were with her and she went in her sleep!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frost level wasn't too bad before the rain. I wonder if all that rain will soak into the top layer and freeze deeper? Hope not

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if Lowes or Home Depot would lay down a bunch of soil in the aisle & seed it from their change drawers. Heck they could charge & make some $ if this cold lasts to long!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread