Research led to some new hunting hunting ground...3rd target was 150+ year old coin.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Hey all,

A few years back, when I first started hunting old fields...I got permission to an old school site.

This school was shown a map from the 1860's, but not present on an 1890's map. So i figured that one got shut down pretty quick...nobody should know about it unless they did research too.

I went out there a few times, but lots of iron in the ground. I'd estimate that I maybe had 4 hours into the place and came up with a button that dated from between 1834-1843 and an 1863 Civil War Token from a Bar in Detroit...Yankee Smith Saloon if memory serves me right.

Anyway, I gave up on the place pretty quick and never returned, but remembered that this farmer owned a decent amount of land and there were a few old home sites on different properties.

In doing research on Sunday, I realized there was a house in this same end of the field, but at the other end. The field is 157 acres.

Another chunk of property he owns is 235 acres which is his home is on. His home was listed with 2 others on those pieces of property (3 different 80 acre parcels) on an 1870's map. His house is all that's still standing.

So, 2 different properties, 4 sites to be able to search it.

Anyway, I stopped by and asked him I could go this year before he planted it.

He gave me the go ahead, but assured me that I was wasting my time.

He said, "You can go all you want, but you ain't gonna find nothing. You're wasting my time if you ask me, those fields been plowed over and over for years and you won't find nothing."

He also added..."But if you do...make sure you stop by and show me."

So after talking to him, I instantly got the bug back.

I headed out last night and detected the field that the schoolhouse in it. But instead of detecting by the school...I detected by where it showed a house on an 1860's map. It was about 1/3 snow covered still in the area where I was GUESSING the house stood. I saw the usual telltale signs of orange bricks, some shard of porcelain, and broken glass. Not much, but a few.

First thing I found was what appears to be an old musket ball. But it looks small like maybe a .36 caliber. Its lead, round, and kind of crudely shaped.

My third find was my one and only coin. Again, pretty muddy and I was going slow. I expect more finds once the field has less water on it.

The coin was a Canadian Large Cent dated 1859. I was pretty pumped. Of course, didn't find another coin, but I'll take it as my first find of the year.

I also found a pretty cool button. On the back it says Rich Gold Color. Preliminary research suggests it dates to the 1830's-1840's.

I spent 2 hours there exactly...6-8pm...And I had fun, which I guess is the most important thing.

And...its nice to have the next 6 weeks on almost 400 acres of land that is probably untouched for the most part.

Keep in mind...all of these houses were gone by the 1920's so any coins found, although few and far between, should be old.

DH24

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
IMG_20140401_135951_697.jpg

Front of 1859 Canadian Large Cent

IMG_20140401_135933_459.jpg

Back of 1859 Canadian Large Cent

IMG_20140401_135735_799.jpg

Button is a little left of the coin and buckle.

Attachments

• IMG_20140401_135951_697.jpg
    IMG_20140401_135951_697.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 129

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are my kind of place , not going to fill your pockets but you just might find a keeper or two, nice large cent Congrats ! Love it when a plan comes together .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Most excellent. Oil lamp parts like your finds there all ways a good sign. Congrats on the cent,and on the sites!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds, I love those spots where "you wont find nothing" Good job!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I found an 1859 CLC in Schoolcraft.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dh24, Nice going on a sweet Canadian LC. :thumbsup: Sure are a pretty coin. I'd be gridding that place thoroughly. Good luck on future hunts at all the sites. :icon_thumleft:

I love the field hunting. You don't always find a lot but when you do, it is nice and old. Plus little aluminum to deal with.

HH

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome large cent hopin to get out soon

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are my kind of place , not going to fill your pockets but you just might find a keeper or two, nice large cent Congrats ! Love it when a plan comes together .
Mine too, but my partner(my wife) is perfectly happy finding stuff that was lost like about an hour ago. She gets bored quick if she don't find a zincoln a minute. I try to tell her quality over quantity, but to no avail. Hit that place hard and good luck!

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice Canadian Largie. I love it when they say you wont find anything and you always do. good hunt, congrats!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Congrats on that old Canadian Large Cent - cool relics too! Nice hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread