GHOST TOWN FINDS W/PICS ;-)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all

well - after 3 trips out to a 4 corners ghost town per some in depth research -- I finally have enough stuff to show and make a post with.

To say it was not as I was anticipating is an understatement! I believe it's been hunted hard in the distant past by most likely the old timers back in the 80s/early 90s with the old Whites and CZ machines. Reason I think this is because the farmer I was talking to said no one's ever hunted it that he knows of (<<key phrase) but also the biggest indicator that it's been hunted is the lack of finds in any area where the iron/trash is NOT thick. Wherever there was iron - I made finds - wherever there wasn't any iron - I didn't make any finds = hmmmm...

I had to work hard to find what I did here over the course of the 3 trips at approx. 2.5 hrs on the 1st hunt and 4 to 5 hrs on each of the following 2 trips out.

Every coin and button find was made in the thick of the iron (and it was bad!) where the old livery, general store and blacksmith shop were. The school yard and town hall were almost void of targets except for the occasional wheat cent or piece of junk/etc. and I think I found a junk ring, a marble, the 1942 silver war nickel and the wings thing over in those sites. The war nickel is the newest coin found.

All of the old coins came from the General store/livery area but as you can see - they use heavy fertilizer and so most of the coins/etc. are toast.

I did manage a good seated Quarter 1857 P - a 1863 shield nickel and a decent 1861 fatty as well as a fairly ledgeable 1874 Injun and a cool Chevrolet Token of some sort

I also found an 1863 store card but it's pretty much toast as is the 2 cent piece and a few other Indians (18?? 1897 1899) ---- some older wheats (1911 1916 1921 1929 1937)

a couple of flat buttons - a few 2 piece buttons, a flattened thimble, couple of spoons, pistol balls, some doodads, etc. etc.

Not shown are 4 horse shoes, 2 axe heads and a bunch of iron junk/scrap...

Used the CTX w/6" coil 2xs and the Deus w/9" coil once...

On to bigger/better pastures from here! I have some other sites to get to before it turns too hot/dry so stay tuned and

thanks for looking/reading,

HH all

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Lonewolfe,

That quarter absolutely rocks!!!

I had a ghost town like that a few years ago when I dug a few toasted injuns, but scored an 1839 Seated Dime, which is my oldest silver.

Slim pickins, but I only had permission to hunt the field where 6 houses were and a blacksmith shop. I have not obtained permission yet for the fields that yielded a schoolhouse, general store, and a few hotels.

I'm thinking those fields might yield a little more.

Good job though...gotta work it hard to get the good stuff.

DH24

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was this whole ghost town owned by the farmer? Nice finds!

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this whole ghost town owned by the farmer? Nice finds!

yes - it's all farm fields now (all buildings were torn down in the 1940s) and no trace of the town exist now

school was on one corner - town hall on another and the livery, gen store and blacksmith shop all sat on another next to each other

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a great post man congrats big time! WTG on scoring all those old coins! What a crazy nice assorted bunch! That seated quarter is so sweet! Congrats again nice work!

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That place is worth another go!Great digs! Congrats!!!!!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! What a pile of keepers you have there!! Huge congrats on great finds. Love that Seated Quarter man!! :headbang: WTG - Research pays off!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread