OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats bad ass bro! Any daye?

Hey Jeremy

no dates are stamped on Tootsie toys cars (unfortunately)

but they were made from the late 1920s thru the 1950s (for the most part)

if I had to guess I would say this one is most likely a late 1930s piece

I have found the early ones and they are a bit different

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe they made that style into the 70's. I always like finding Tootsies. I had a few of that same car as a kid in the mid 70's.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them Tootsies! They sure ring up as a nice target. WTG

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes you can kind of date them by the way the tires show or don't show...

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 piece "pressed steel" type tootsies are/were "pre war" (pre WWII) up until mid century (1950s/60s)

after that - "plastic" was added to both the exterior (rims, underbody, etc) and interior (seats, steering wheels, etc) of most all tootsie toy cars and also they were no longer "pressed" into 1 piece units (as this one is) - they did a changeover to match/compete with Matchbox and Hotwheels as we (kids of the time) no longer wanted the "pressed steel" 1 piece units of the "past" anymore and the only way Tootsie was to survive was to make cars/trucks like Matchbox & Hotwheels was doing at that time --- I remember when Hotwheels released their 1st round of cars - - I was 5/6 yrs old in 1967/68 and they were THE xxxx!! NO one wanted these old style cartoony looking pressed steel cars anymore once they (Hotwheels) came on the scene (and we're talkin "Redlines" in those days = the REAL deals)!!

I still have over a dozen of my Redlines from when I was a kid (some in near mint cond. too)! ;-)

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wolfe - you and I must be close in age. I remember when Hotwheels came out, I had a couple. One kid in the neighborhood had the Hotwheels "suitcase" with dozens of cars...he thought his *** didn't stink, and was the envy of all us kids...this same kid also rode the chromed-out Schwinn stingray, man did I lust after that bike!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Tootsie. :thumbsup: I remember playing with my older brothers' pile of them. I had a couple favorites, the purple Baja Runabout comes to mind. :laughing7:

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread