WWI Great Seal large military button!

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out by myself for about 3.5 hours today and the sunshine was beautiful! Didn't find much, but did have one awesome find!

Sometime around 1902 WWI Great Seal large military button. I know this is a decently common button, but as a history teacher I LOVE any and all military buttons. The back says "The Austin Co." and "Providence R.I." A lot of different companies made this buttons for different Regiments of the military, so it's pretty cool to see the company and the area.

It is in great shape and was just sitting at the tip of plug when I flipped it over. Great sight to see a large button face down with the shank facing right at you. There is no question what it is and you get pumped! It's sitting in an olive oil bath right.

Awesome day and super excited about my find!
- Dan

Attachments

• 20160405_155455-1.jpg
    20160405_155455-1.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 2016-04-05 18.50.58.jpg
    2016-04-05 18.50.58.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 2016-04-05 18.50.20.jpg
    2016-04-05 18.50.20.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 86

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dan; I have an idea. You said your a History Teacher. Well as you said many companies made this button. Why not use this button as a class in History for the kids. Have them look up the button and it's history. Have them try to find out which Regiment it may have been made for then do a lesson on that Regiment. Think about it. That to me sounds great. I'm a History nut myself. What say you?? PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
GrandBlancDig

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Dan; I have an idea. You said your a History Teacher. Well as you said many companies made this button. Why not use this button as a class in History for the kids. Have them look up the button and it's history. Have them try to find out which Regiment it may have been made for then do a lesson on that Regiment. Think about it. That to me sounds great. I'm a History nut myself. What say you?? PEACE:RONB

I think that is a pretty awesome idea! They will love having the button in class and being able to research a peice of history that is right in front of them. It's a real world skill of being able to research as well. Thanks for the reply!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only wish my History teacher in school was a metal detectorist and would bring in real historical items like that. Probably woulda paid more attention. Congrats on digging that Great Seal button!! Nice shape too

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. The Great Seal came out in 1902 and last I knew still produced. Yours looks like an older one. Likely WWI or WWII. Congrats.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find/button GBD

always welcome finds :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
GrandBlancDig

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all! I am on spring break this week and the weather has been awful! All the time in the world to dig for once and I can't get out... on a good note, next week looks like it will be pretty nice out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions