Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago I found a little spot in an old park where I dug some wheats, silver, and buffs. I have been back to the same spot now and then over the years and have found more wheats and a couple silvers. I went back there a week ago and worked the very same spot with my Etrac. I got a deep hit and it was 2 deep wheats in one hole. I slowed down and kept digging deep wheats and also a merc. Ended that 30 minute hunt with 9 wheats and the merc. Every coin was 7" - 9" deep. My friend John was with me and watched me dig a few of them. I decided to go back today and work the same area and take a ruler this time. It didn't take long and I heard that first deep wheat.
I ended the hunt with 10 more wheats, a 1945 D silver war nickel, and a 1942 S merc. None were less than 7" and some were at 9" deep. If you look at the ruler you can see the merc was right at 9". I also got a neat old dog whistle. I think the soil and moisture conditions were just right, and that Etrac has the ability to sniff out deep coins. Each coin I measured was actually still in the spot it was dropped many years before. None were in the loose soil. I wanted an accurate depth so I worked slowly with digger and pin pointer till I seen an edge of a coin. Also got 20 trash items, and 8 clad coins.

Attachments

• IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2112.JPG
    IMG_2112.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 95

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yowza, those are some deep coins, Mike. :notworthy: Have you given up on your Minelab then? Glad you're getting out.

HH

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, the Etrac loves some round coinage! I would have loved to be there and compare with with deus signals. Haven't really been able to hunt with any other machinesuggestions yet.

Great job, because deep digging isn't always fun.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul Mike

cool dog whistle too = I dug one just like it a couple yrs ago!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Mike - congrats on the Silvers!! I like that dog whistle too.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt! And that's why I love Minelabs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread