"BK BIG DAY" tomorrow this time the coins find me

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
"BK BIG DAY" tomorrow this time the coins find me

Heading out at the starlight goin to my secret secret spot that of course i cant tell an old town full of ghosts ive got my cooler of cold sasparillas and a sack lunch my rusty but trusty relic shovel and my golden xlt ive been planning this trip all week a folder full of maps a brief history of the camp and a new huntin partner wish me luck ill post what i find monday

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Re: "BK BIG DAY" tomorrow this time the coins find me

Fats:
I'm sorry I didn't sign up, I'm sure that at the very least, I would learn something I didn't already know. Or at least have a good time.
I didn't know you like sarsaparilla, I like sarsaparilla too. ;)
There's a chance I'm going up this coming weekend, maybe talk to ya about it. Then again I'm on tap at church, dang. And bowhunting is coming up too. What's a man to do?
Times a wastin.
Hope ya did well
Muleskinner

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series

These read C&MW along top and B35 on one and D54 on the other made on lead they were dug in michigan at a logging camp in the forest i believe C&WM may stand for Chicago&West Michigan Lumber railroad the founders of this town one was found next to the train tracks and the other was found near some foundation holes do you think these were railroad freight tags passenger tags or possibly employee tags this was a company town so the employees were paid in credit and some coin could this be a credit tag how did they do that did the store just keep names of all the employees or did they receive a tag or token like this to indentify themselves any info would help

Attachments

• railroad tags.jpg
    railroad tags.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 253
  • railroad tags 2.jpg
    railroad tags 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 254
  • railroad tags.jpg
    railroad tags.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 269
  • railroad tags 2.jpg
    railroad tags 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 246
OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series

now i know that they are freight tags used to secure boxcars and mail bags once broken they knew that the shipment was tampered with

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fatsmahoney said:
now i know that they are freight tags used to secure boxcars and mail bags once broken they knew that the shipment was tampered with
Yup, they are freight seals. Have found a couple here as the C &WM ran thru my town. I believe it changed over to the Pere Marquette line and then the Chesapeake and Ohio, which I remember as a kid. The tracks are gone now.

I found the site of a brothel just north of me next to the old RR bed and got a few interesting pieces there. Will post a pic or 2 if anyones interested.

Tom

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series

im definitely interested post the tags you found and all other items im researching this rail line

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro

Fats;
So how did the weekend hunt go? I figure you got the freight tags there. Who went along? Come on dude, don't leave us hangin. How were the sasparillas?

OP
OP
fatsmahoney

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series

yup went to the site i found the cemetary again site is definitely virgin id love to invite everyone but this spot is too nice to give away

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fatsmahoney said:
These read C&MW along top and B35 on one and D54 on the other made on lead they were dug in michigan at a logging camp in the forest i believe C&WM may stand for Chicago&West Michigan Lumber railroad the founders of this town one was found next to the train tracks and the other was found near some foundation holes do you think these were railroad freight tags passenger tags or possibly employee tags this was a company town so the employees were paid in credit and some coin could this be a credit tag how did they do that did the store just keep names of all the employees or did they receive a tag or token like this to indentify themselves any info would help

These freight seals are from the Chicago & West Michigan Railway Co. and date between 1878-1899. Before that, from 1869-1878, it was known as the Chicago & West Michigan Lake Shore Railway Co., Which ran along the West side of Michigan from Porter, IN to Petoskey. In 1899 the C & W.M. was absorbed by the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad. I The C&WM connected with the F&PM at Baldwin by way of the tracks that ran between Ludington and Baldwin. The bed can be seen along the south side of U.S. 10.

Anyway, That's what I was able to dig up. Here's a couple pics I found of a C & W.M. Locomotive and a furniture boxcar.

Attachments

• ChicagoWM.jpg
    ChicagoWM.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 181
  • C&WMBoxCarPhoto.jpg
    C&WMBoxCarPhoto.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 202

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's the finds from the Brothel next to the RR line

Head of a cane. Room key tag from the everett House in Lansing (the hotel was torn down and R.E. Olds built his residence on the site and a Fraternal token "Woodsmen of the World" ID coin

Attachments

• IMGP0976.JPG
    IMGP0976.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 1803finds.jpg
    1803finds.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 180

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For anyone thats interested here is a link to the Detroit Publishing Company website with lots and lots of old Michigan Photos including Depots in Petoskey and other interesting shots.

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/dpc/default.asp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread