Old Schools discussion

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK Michigan Friends, I'm in Traverse City today and going out to an old farmstead in a little while. But first, I have been discussing rules on old school properties with my digging buddy Joey. He says he has never had a problem going out to an unused school and digging around. I wonder if that is always the case. Do any of you know the rules? It is public property but schools do have restrictions? Let me know what you think....Thanks in advance...
JT

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Like most public property , contentions can exist.
Often by others who don't know what you are doing ,or don't care what you are doing and are busybodies.

Peeking in school windows or trying doors is obviously going to attract negative attention.

Just metal detect like you are metal detecting and be mindful to replace plugs the best you can to not leave signs of activity .

Expect someone to call in suspicious activity.
How you act if the law shows up matters.
If you're scared and nervous it will show.
If you are comfortable detecting for the right reasons it will show.

Signage is key obviously. Going past a sign restricting access or detecting is obviously not supportive of you being on a site.
An overzealous l.e.o. can ask you to leave even if nothing prohibits your being on a site. Which brings us back to how you act.
When you don't know what brought the officer there ,(driving by , a neighboring home owner , or the mayor called; are very different things) your staying there depends on more than if it's public ,or a lack of rule regarding detecting.
Detecting like you are part of the community and schools history and interest are different that pillage and plunder...
So id detecting for hints of the past through relics vs. treasurehunting.

Not schools , but public places in Mi. I've detected I waved briefly and went back to detecting when a cop stopped to watch.
Will again.
Village president and grounds keepers and residents have stopped at times in one park to chat for varied reasons.
None have objected locally. Though one dingbat comes to mind elsewhere that had no better impact on a site...

The police have all just watched a while and moved on.
But I do expect an approach and questions eventually ,which is fine.
I'll be polite and if asked to leave I will. But why I'd be asked to leave would be my question.

I vote ,have fun.

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, that is pretty much how I feel. that is in fact what I will do. I have had the cops look on, but never approach in the past. Just thought I would see what other think. Thanks for responding...
JT

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that is pretty much how I feel. that is in fact what I will do. I have had the cops look on, but never approach in the past. Just thought I would see what other think. Thanks for responding...
JT

Im ony about an hour away in boyne city havent had any issues this way but like everyone said as long as u dont leave a mess you should be good

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv had good luck with schools, if you looking at doing the football Id get permission from the varsity coach...Im in the thumb of MI...

OP
OP
jamest64

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks fellas, always good to hear from you. I'm back home and heading out shortly. See soon.
JT

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never had an issue the public Schools are paid for by us tax payers. There is a school in my town that used to be an old horse race track and some people had gone in there a few times and didnt fill holes and were just crappy and lots of complaints for that reason I never go there. I read about it when I first got into detecting but aside from that just dont let it be noticable you were there and pick up the trash you see. HH Tommy from A2 MI

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you are respectful to their property, you shouldn't have an issue. There has been some football fields i've stayed away from just because I could tell the were kept and and used alot. Most the older schools with fields have been converted to elem. or middle schools, so they arent used like a HS would be using them.

I've never actually been run off, thou i have had a couple principles ask what I was doing and they were fine as long as I wasnt leaving holes.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the old one room style school house are owned privately and would be trespassing to just go there without permission. If it's public just don't use a shovel and make it look better than before you started. Some public places are still off limits to detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread