Is Minnehaha Park worth hunting?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Your results are typical. It would be interesting to know how many thousands of times that park has been hunted over the last 40 years. Also, much of the area has been heavily renovated.

Back in the '70s, one of the local experts was detecting there and found a clad dime down 10"! Another problem with that place is ground consisting of iron & other rocks.

You might find an area where the ground hasn't been redone recently. Things that might give a clue would be if you can see tree roots extending out from the trees. If not, fill dirt was probably added.

If you find areas with extreme trash, you might have more luck with the sniper coil (4.5" diameter). Also a strategy for finding stuff in heavily hunted areas is to detect the areas least used, & try pushing the coil under bushes that weren't always there. And hope you can detect an area they might be renovating with the grass & some topsoil removed, making the old coins less deep. Or if you find a torn up sidewalk, great opportunity.

The sad truth is that to find old coins *regularly* in heavily hunted parks one must have a very expensive detector & understand it completely and be willing to dig some iffy signals. Even that is not a guarantee that every day will produce old coins.

I have an Ace 250 with a 10x14 Excelerator coil & get a loud beep and solid ID lock on a dime I planted 5" deep, using sensitivity 3. I have some detectors that would go deeper, but I live in a new area (10mi SSW of MOA) & don't drive. HH,
George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread