All Treasure Hunting

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the delta and use the 350 .... never used it in the hill section tho .... I had a GTA 1000 yrs ago that worked well around Yazoo City and Vicksburg ..... the 1000 had set ground balance also ........ on the 350 if u turn the sensitivity down 3 notches from max , everywhere I have hunted , no falsing ...... in my test garden (8/11coil), sensitivity down 3 notches , I still get coins good at 8 inches ........ with the sniper coil , I loose coins deeper than 5 inches ..... my next purchase will be the smaller dd coil .... I really don't like the sniper coil ......... signal seems to float around when actually hunting in trashy house sites ... good luck

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have it all - sandy loam, red clay, chalk, sand, etc. There are some areas that are heavier on the minerals than others but most of your better brands of detectors can handle it. I have never had a problem with the AT Pro or Ace 250, except the heavy trash areas but with time and learning what to listen for, it gets better. Having the features to set sensitivity, modes and descrim will be all the better. There are alot of good entry level models that do a good job.

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on where you are there might be a good bit of clay. in my backyard in Brandon its solid clay 4" under the soil. at the end the street you can 6" and its all sand. I've never been anywhere in MS except the beach where the ground was bad enough that the detector couldn't handle it. I have ran into areas under some trees or something sometimes where it starts going crazy and ill have to turn the sens down.

the clay is both good and bad. the good is that since its about 4" under the soil most coins and small objects will be on top of it. but I have found a lot of larger cast and iron things that were almost 2' feet deep! it sucks pulling out 20 inches of clay!

OP
OP
C

CobraFnD

Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of detector do you use? I just broke down and ordered a Garrett ATpro and Whites TRX pinpointer... Hope it is here by the weekend!

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will for sure enjoy the AT Pro much better. honestly I don't see the allure of the ACE series. they are decent detectors but for the same money you can get something that's far more superior at target identification. the ace series doesn't have anything to identify targets except for the bezel on the screen that says stuff like 5c, foil, screw cap, etc. and while that works in the very beginning it doesn't take long to figure out that new nickels ring up as pop tabs and screw caps can ring up as other stuff. so having a machine that uses VDI numbers that you can chart out makes a world of difference. so I have no doubt that you will be far happier with the Pro than the ACE 350.

I currently have a teknetics delta 4000 that I like very much. I had recently purchased a minelab x-terra 305 but I had to take it back because it conked out on me after a few hours of using it. I didn't like it either. it uses VDI numbers but the numbers only go from -4 through 44 but it only uses every 4 numbers. so there are literally only 14 different numbers that a target could possibly ring up. and they are on the more expensive end of the entry level machines. the delta 4000 and even the fisher f2 have way better target identification and are a lot cheaper.

So, since I had to take that one back I am in the market for a new one. I just cant make up my mind which to get. after around $300 there seems to be a huge stall in features until you get up to $600 where the AT Pro is.

whereabouts in MS do you live?

OP
OP
C

CobraFnD

Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the Hattiesburg area.

mcockrell

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool. we live in Brandon. we have had a lot of luck going to the local parks and stuff. definitely search all around the playground or swings area if you go to a park. that seems to be where I find all the good stuff. and there isn't a whole lot of trash there usually. not nearly as much as you would find near the benches or picnic tables. last weekend we went out to a park on the reservoir and I found my first gold ring.

jas415

Aug 24, 2003
Spring, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 - 900 and Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live just north of Houston but was born in Yazoo City. I was back there about a year ago and hunted the fairgrounds there. I was in a hurry but did well. Lots of clad coins there. Supposedly that place has been the 'fairground' for over a hundred years.

My parents, grandparents, etc., have all been buried in the cemetery out at Fletcher's Chapel, built in the mid 1800's. So many old places there along Broadway street in Yazoo City. Many of them built in the late 1800's. My living relatives there all tell me they have never seen any metal detecting going on anywhere there. I would love to hunt the old Bentonia school site just off 49. I went to school there in the late 40's.

Our local club here had a member that passed away and left the club hunting rights to Glascock Island on the Mississippi River. Like 16 different old plantation houses on it. We are doing our best to get a big hunt there in the fall. But, they have a huge hunting club there so that might not come through.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mild mineralization, I live in Brandon but hunt vicksburg,Natchez,louisiana

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread