Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sure looks like you were busy... no clue about the details of the finds, but overall impressive.... is that a Merc dime?

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good day. 32 tokens - 5 Lumber Co. and most of the rest Mercantile, 1 tax and an unknown - but working on it. Add some clad, best was a "42 nickel and a Mexican 20 cent. Wish I didn't have to honey-do tomorrow but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. JB, ready when you are.
token2.JPG

Last edited:

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Sold out...gone fishing...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang that is a nice haul of historic stuff...good for you guys!

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going somewhere tomorrow...just don't know where yet!

Got a reprieve from the house restoration work for the day...

Cecil

OP
OP
Jblack

Jblack

Oct 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going somewhere tomorrow...just don't know where yet!

Got a reprieve from the house restoration work for the day...

Cecil

We have a guy that is looking for someone to hunt with tomorrow, clad slad

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm game for whatever...I don't have anywhere special but I want to get out and swing the detector for a while.

There a site here that is being developed to build houses that has some history of a general store and some rodeo activity...they have hauled in some dirt...hopefully not too much. Thought I might slip in there for a couple hours and then hit a home site from the 60's that is now owned by the state highway department before the pave it. Last resort is a local school that has been producing a few coins from the 40's.

But that said I'll drive to meet someone if they have a site that looks promising they want to hit...

Was to get with Bonepicker but he had an invite earlier in the week that none of us would have passed up and is having to work. Bummer.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bronco and myself shot out today for a short road trip to hit a spot we had just gotten permission for, 100+ years ago this spot was a general store well needless to say they had lots of holes in there pockets
Nice hunt, that's a lot of tokens. Never seen that many from one site, They must have made token grenades at that general store.
Too bad most most were aluminum.
I usually tumble my tax tokens. Doesn't help with the pitting, but it gets the crud off.
Very good day. 32 tokens - 5 Lumber Co. and most of the rest Mercantile, 1 tax and an unknown - but working on it. Add some clad, best was a "42 nickel and a Mexican 20 cent. Wish I didn't have to honey-do tomorrow but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. JB, ready when you are.
Nice hunt. Crazy tokens, is that a silver thimble?
If you need help id'ing any of those tokens, send me some better pics to my email [email protected], and I can look them up in my Mississippi tokens book.
Are we gona gave to take up a collection for a photography tutor to come to the next meeting, some closeups would be nice :laughing7:.
Don't be scared to post more than one photo, you guys both had a nice hunt.
I'm game for whatever...I don't have anywhere special but I want to get out and swing the detector for a while.

There a site here that is being developed to build houses that has some history of a general store and some rodeo activity...they have hauled in some dirt...hopefully not too much. Thought I might slip in there for a couple hours and then hit a home site from the 60's that is now owned by the state highway department before the pave it. Last resort is a local school that has been producing a few coins from the 40's.

But that said I'll drive to meet someone if they have a site that looks promising they want to hit...

Was to get with Bonepicker but he had an invite earlier in the week that none of us would have passed up and is having to work. Bummer.
Sorry I cant make it tomorrow chacuff, gota work. Mama needs a new pair of shoes.
Hands are still sore from digging all that brass and lead yesterday.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...civil-war-camp-22-bullets-4-buttons-more.html
Good luck to ya, and let us know how things go for ya. Should be nice early in the am.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
some stores were basically nothing more than "company fronts" ...in the old days many "companies" paid in script ... you rented your home from the company . you bought your food from the company store all things were "company related" buying wise often at highly inflated prices and you were kept "locked in" to work for the company because any savings you had on the books was in company script money --worthless any where but at the company business's ..when the federal income tax act came into effect ... the federal govt forbid the payment of workers in company script ..so that people would have cash money to pay their taxes -- on the last day it was legal to pay in script many companies told the workers to come in and clear the books off or be fired if they refused --all debt owed to their workers was paid off in company script only--which the stores would not exchange for cash and to cover having to pay cash in the future the companies just raised their prices thru the roof ..many pissed off workers snuck back at night and burned the company stores and slung the now worthless tokens on the ground by the stores..

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I cant make it tomorrow chacuff, gota work. Mama needs a new pair of shoes.
Hands are still sore from digging all that brass and lead yesterday.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...civil-war-camp-22-bullets-4-buttons-more.html
Good luck to ya, and let us know how things go for ya. Should be nice early in the am.[/QUOTE]

Hey it's no problem...I understand how working for a living goes...

It was HOT...started around 8:30 and just barely made it to about 11:30. Realized when I made it home I had overdone it...

Was out in the sun the whole time. I knew the site was fairly old but the dozers have ripped it up pretty good and pulled off some of the top soil and spread a lot of clay.

Only keeper find was a sad 1920P penny. Lots of iron at the site...I hate iron rings...they ring up in the nonferrous silver range...must have dug a half dozen in the rock hard ground...

I'm whooped..was good to get out though.

Cecil

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job JB and RB!
Can't wait to get back in the saddle again!

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're waiting on you Nick, as you can tell. Got a few more spots we are getting nailed down, hope your back gets better soon. BP, I would put some good pics up but Jblack worked hard on getting permission and the info might attract poachers. Not trying to be a #^$ but you understand. The thimble has some writing on it, hope to make it out. And dang if I didn't lose the pad off one side of my headphones, hope I can get replacement piece. Emailed Garrett, can't find the piece online to buy. My ears felt like some one ran me thru the briar patch.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey it's no problem...I understand how working for a living goes...
It was HOT...started around 8:30 and just barely made it to about 11:30. Realized when I made it home I had overdone it...
Was out in the sun the whole time. I knew the site was fairly old but the dozers have ripped it up pretty good and pulled off some of the top soil and spread a lot of clay.
Only keeper find was a sad 1920P penny. Lots of iron at the site...I hate iron rings...they ring up in the nonferrous silver range...must have dug a half dozen in the rock hard ground...
I'm whooped..was good to get out though.
Cecil
Well at least you got out.
Early bird gets the worm...............
Maybe next time. I have more slow hunts than good hunts, but you just wont hear much about the slow hunts.
Kind of like how the gambler never brags about the losses, only the winnings.
BP, I would put some good pics up but Jblack worked hard on getting permission and the info might attract poachers. Not trying to be a #^$ but you understand. The thimble has some writing on it, hope to make it out. And dang if I didn't lose the pad off one side of my headphones, hope I can get replacement piece. Emailed Garrett, can't find the piece online to buy. My ears felt like some one ran me thru the briar patch.
I love finding tokens, esp when its something other than tax tokens.
I figured displaying hi-res pics of the tokens tokens might disclose too much info, but was curious to what they said and just had to bust your balls a little,
I also recently scored my first silver thimble, let us know if it turns out to be silver, better pics.
Anyhow looks like you guys had a nice hunt.
Im sure garrett has replacement parts on hand for the AT Pro.

Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the well wishes Andy!
About your headphone dilemma:
I bought this adapter so I could use regular cheap headphones:
Amazon.com: Garrett Metal Detectors AT Pro Headphone Adapter: Electronics
or
Garrett 1 4" Headphone Adapter for Garrett at Pro Infinium Sea Hunter Models | eBay

If you don't have headphones with a 1/4" male connector, you will also want to get a 1/4" stereo male to 1/8" stereo female adapter (so you can use 90% of the headphones made today)!

Don't waste your money on a bluetooth transmitter with wireless Bluetooth headphones though because the lag is immense (I tried it and failed with 2 different transmitters).
The XP Deus has a proprietary wireless headphone system that works flawlessly (or so I have heard from the forums).

Last edited:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The XP Deus has a proprietary wireless headphone system that works flawlessly (or so I have heard from the forums).
Sucks about the headphones. Too bad Garrett uses the pin connector jack.
You can pick up a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on ebay for around 5 bucks, I think, but that probably wouldn't work on a garrett.
I love the deus wireless headphones, they work great, and no external receiver box like the ctx 3030 design.
The XP 5 year warranty is also great. I had an issue with a wire poking out of my deus ws4's and called xp.
They sent me a new pair of ws4 phones minus the round module, without me even having to send the damaged phones back to them.
Sounds like somebody is almost sold on purchasing an XP :laughing7:.

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup the wireless headphones are a great thing. The best ones I have used are the ones on my Whites V3i. But phones are a personal preference...I'm an over the ear full cup guy with lots of padding. A bit warm in the summer but it blocks out all the external noise and let's me hear the slightest sounds. I can't do the on ear types well...the let in too much external noise...especially if you are hunting near a roadway.

I bought a pair of the Vance phones conversions for my Deus..they work great but are a bit shallow putting a little pressure on my ears which is not a big deal at first but after a few hours begins to hurt.

My biggest complaint with the factory phones supplied with the AT Pro is the length of the cord....it's about two feet too short for my likings...

Hope your back is healing up....just in time for cooler weather maybe! ��

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to wear the full coverage headphones (especially during winter), but usually the places where I hunt are dangerous, and you need to be able to hear people approaching.
In the other forum I belong to (The Friendly Metal Detecting Forums), many hunt armed (with more than just their shovel).

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would love to wear the full coverage headphones (especially during winter), but usually the places where I hunt are dangerous, and you need to be able to hear people approaching.
In the other forum I belong to (The Friendly Metal Detecting Forums), many hunt armed (with more than just their shovel).
I used to wear the killer Bee Stinger headphones, they only covered one ear. Good for hearing traffic or people, etc.
I have a set of sunray pro gold full muffs and they get hot and sweaty in the summer.
The WS4's aren't as hot as the full muffs are, and they do allow some outside noise in.
I usually try to hunt with a partner in bad areas.
I always keep my head on a swivel, and if you saw my solid steel lesche 38D shovel you would think I was armed.
Personally I have no issue if someone wanted to hunt armed, esp since MS is an open carry state, and then there are also Concealed Carry Permits/Licenses.

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an enhanced concealed carry license holder. I also shoot combat pistol competitions on occasion. I carry more times than not.

Crazy world we live in now days...

Cecil

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an enhanced concealed carry license holder. I also shoot combat pistol competitions on occasion. I carry more times than not.

Crazy world we live in now days...

Cecil

Guess I'll be hunting by myself for sure now...:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread