redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a meeting north of Jackson today, had a little time and permission to MD a old town site. Figured out real quick it had been hit before. Couldn't cover the area I really wanted to, farmer's market going on. Did hit a spot with old bricks, broken glass, etc. When a got a few square nails, thought I was fixing to load the wagon but only a handful of things. The belt buckle is period but no markings so not sure if CW or civilian. Union documented to destroy town but no fighting detailed. If anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.
Liv1.JPG Liv2.JPG Liv3.JPG

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you had a great quick hunt.
My goal this winter is to find some marbles.
I am going to build a crude sifter, and start sifting material sometimes when I get in a "zone".

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, you did much better than my quick hunt yesterday afternoon, all I got was a bottle cap, some nails, and some pieces rusted so bad that I have no idea what they are...

Sep 18, 2010
Ellisville, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT Pro, and a White's Treasure Master, along with a White's TRX Pinpointer...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something inexpensive that makes a good portable sifter is a fry basket, either one from a home counter top fryer or a commercial one...

Sounds like you had a great quick hunt.
My goal this winter is to find some marbles.
I am going to build a crude sifter, and start sifting material sometimes when I get in a "zone".

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that you were in Canton. I haven't had the courage to hunt in Canton yet!

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little west of there. A private development going in, just happened to know someone. Great history, good looking ground but you can see the signs of others being in there recently. Had about an hour and limited access but one good find makes it worth it. Think it is going to be hard to id buckle or get any hard info on it. Nick, I pick up every marble I come across. Maybe one day I will find the ones I lost along time ago. :tongue3:

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bronco, if I dug an old, oval buckle like that, I'd be jumping all over the place before I even took the time to realize if it was CW or not, lol. Good find! Have to admit, I'm a little jealous...

Clean it off good, even the back. Are there any markings any where? I know there are still oval belt buckles around today, but maybe the hardware/fasteners are the key?

I don't know what links I'm supposed to show in here, but look at all these types of CW US buckles. Pay attention to the backs on them...I do see a few similarities in there man.

Ridgeway Reference Library, Civil War plates and buckles

Good find, regardless.

Last edited:
S

stefen

Maybe try soaking the plate in vinegar and lightly brush to remove the crud...may expose some image on the front...worth a try

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting buckle and nice old marble. :thumbsup:
It could be CW, pre-civil war, or more modern.
Id like to suggest you post it in the What is it Section, and also in the Cleaning and preservation section.
Id be scared to clean it before I knew what it was.
If it were mine I would give it a light tooth-picking rub and soak in mineral oil, but the experts may give you better advice.
I would be looking closely at the back. Maybe you can see some sort of back-mark, makers-mark which should help on ID.
Just don't clean too aggressively, and you do not want to remove the patina.

Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something inexpensive that makes a good portable sifter is a fry basket, either one from a home counter top fryer or a commercial one...

That is a good idea, but I really want one like nuggetnoggin has in this video:

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is what you do in retirement. Look for ways to go full time prospecting or a full dig site set-up. :thumbsup:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So this is what you do in retirement. Look for ways to go full time prospecting or a full dig site set-up. :thumbsup:

It is either that or look for another job!
:)

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To heck working for a living, it's way overrated unless your Warren B. or Bill G.
BP told me to post the belt buckle on What is it forum and see what those guys said.
Short story, this is what Mud Hut posted.
Scan 4.jpg Buckle2.JPG
Still don't think I can retire yet but ready to go have some more fun.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's freakin awesome Bronco. Im so jealous.
Cant wait to get my first Buckle/Plate.
War of 1812 is kick-@$$.... Ive gotten some buttons from that era, but no big brass....
Id be happy with CW, but 1812 is even better...
You better get back to that spot. Im gona vote banner on this..
Those guys in the What Is It Section are Awesome and have helped me many times.....

Last edited:

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! War of 1812 belt plate! Really?Awesome man! I can't even imagine finding something 200 years old. Pre CW! It sure looks like a match too. How deep was that Bronco?

Last edited:

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buckle! That is the one time you can be excited NOT to have a cw buckle!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that is the find of a lifetime!
You need to build a glass case to hold it!

After reading the "What is it" post, I am even more amazed!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/478813-buckle-id.html
Looks like they could go for over $400 too!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1808-PATTER...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I would submit that under the "finds of the month" on the Garrett site, you might win a new pinpointer!
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_favoirite_find_2015_en.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was almost on top of the ground. Hit the spot with the square nails and some broken crockery, and it was in the mix. Just got lucky, the meeting was almost moved to a different location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions