10/17/2015 Purvis Train Depot Hunt

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a bunch of pottery and glass shards (nothing whole or complete).
I know Andy found an insulator that was in pretty good condition (hopefully he will post it).
I went for a little creek water hunt and found 12 cents in clad.
The water was crystal clear and about 1 foot deep.
Another highlight was NO SNAKES SEEN!
okalona.jpg

The purple glass is pretty old:
http://patternglass.com/sunPurple/index.htm

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol. No snakes.
That's a lot of old glass. Were you using a sifter?? I like old glass and insulators.
Last time I tried water hunting, the water was chocolate brown. Clear-water would have made it a lot easier.
Glad to see yall made it out today.
I got out this afternoon and scored a 1942 merc and a sterling charm with the letter R on it.
Lost a good permission today, but made up for it at the hunted out school site with a couple silvers.
Texted a lady earlier to give her heads up we were gona hunt her property today.
We have/had permission to go there, but she always wants to know if were going there.
She called me back and said we couldn't hunt there anymore, because she caught someone else in there without permission.
And she thinks that they saw us there and thought it was ok. So some boot-leggers cost us a good permission. :BangHead:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...ilver-streak-still-continues.html#post4717576

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Bonepicker!
I started on the other side of the tracks and found nothing but spikes, Andy found the glass.
We think we found the platform, but you could tell people had been in there over the years.
I have not built the sifter yet, but these were like picking up shells on the seashore (most on top of the ground).

Sorry about losing that permission, but I have a feeling it is going to become more the "norm".
People are going to use the shotgun approach to solving most problems like this.
Liability is another reason.
If you got hurt on their land, you could theoretically file a lawsuit (unless there was some written contract).

angleofattack

Aug 9, 2015
West Point, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Euro tech pro dd, xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have permission on a depot have only found modern clad but there is a lot of history their and should be something. One of the problems that I have noticed is the landscapers bring in a bunch of dirt and raise the ground level in some cases High enough to cover the tracks or the old tracks in order to have a nice lawn around the depot. I suggest looking around the depot for places that may have been used at an animal corral or a place they parked buggies. Any lots close buy are good places. Your best luck is to fined some good old photos which incidentally are often found in the depot. Thanks for the post. I see lots of old depots so there are more fish in the barrel.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found one RR spike too yesterday. Sucker was about 14" deep.
If you are finding that much old surface glass, there has to be some coins/relics there.
Maybe that would be a good place to try that sifter. if possible. Or probe for bottles.
Sometimes the good targs are masked by all the trash. Ive been amazed by some of the sifting threads at this site.

And yes, as you mentioned, hypothetically people could sue if injured, but I think a lot of people use that as an easy out, or excuse to not be bothered.
Some people are really friendly/cool, and some people are just plain ...........
Oh well, life goes on.

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A slow day finding, is a good day. Finished with this.
10-17.JPG
5 train flattened coins are 2-lincolns, 1-dime, 1-nickel and the big one on the end, just can't tell.
Cool finding the evidence that we are on the right trail, got to check on the adjacent property, good prospects on it.
Perfect weather, didn't sweat a drop, which is nice for a change. Enjoyed it Nick.

OP
OP
M

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have permission on a depot have only found modern clad but there is a lot of history their and should be something. One of the problems that I have noticed is the landscapers bring in a bunch of dirt and raise the ground level in some cases High enough to cover the tracks or the old tracks in order to have a nice lawn around the depot. I suggest looking around the depot for places that may have been used at an animal corral or a place they parked buggies. Any lots close buy are good places. Your best luck is to fined some good old photos which incidentally are often found in the depot. Thanks for the post. I see lots of old depots so there are more fish in the barrel.

There had definitely been no landscaping done around this area.
They had built up the road on the upper side with some gravel, but Andy found what appeared to be the platform that lead out to the tracks.
Lots of broken glass/pottery there. I probed with my Privy probe on the enbankment, but the ground is so hard in places, then at the base is 4 feet of sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread