redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working with a private institution with CSA ties to help with a project, in return we were able to trade work time for MD time in a section of the property away from the public area. Knew going in, the area we would be allowed to hunt would be away from the prime location but a dream to hunt anywhere on the property. A lot of work got done to get the opportunity to MD for a few hours over the weekend. Anyway enough said, check out the pics. Some of the clad came from the beach, had to get some sand time too.
BV1.JPG BV2.JPG BV3.JPG BV4.JPG BV5.JPG
Got to clean the button up a little and get it identified, clean the compact and research it, and the ring is hitting 83 on the ATP. When I found it, it was so tarnished and dark in the woods, I couldn't tell what it was.
But it cleaned up pretty nice. Made going thru the pull tabs and cans worth it.

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a great time and am very thankful for the opportunity! I found some clad in the sand too, but I didn't take any pictures of that. Not much to show anyway.

Here are my finds from the hunt, with the best being a commemorative medal that was issued to the men that served under General N. B. Forrest in the confederacy. What a hunt!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338289.450001.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338302.038088.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338312.076707.jpg IMG_1962.JPG

Last edited:

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a blast! Here are my finds from the hunt minus the clad, melted blobs, and junk...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338777.380772.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338807.952063.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448338947.351860.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448339164.931169.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1448339209.336919.jpg

Always check your scrap closely, because it could have someone's name engraved in it... Backwards!

Great pieces of history and I had a blast recovering it!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds guys!
Steve, that medal you found, do you think it had some sort of coin in the middle originally?

Slad74

Jun 3, 2015
Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend
ML Equinox 700
ML Equinox 800 (sold)
Garrett PP AT
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 250 (sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I originally thought it had a coin, but it appears to have had a medallion. I'm not sure of the rules about posting links in TNet, but here is some info on it, including an example of what it would have looked like...look at the second item on this link:

VeteransAttic.com*Catalog

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I originally thought it had a coin, but it appears to have had a medallion. I'm not sure of the rules about posting links in TNet, but here is some info on it, including an example of what it would have looked like...look at the second item on this link:

VeteransAttic.com*Catalog

Yes, that is cool!
Would have been great to pull that out of the hole too!

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Jameyjg01

Mar 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... Except it is backwards like a stamp, and engraved inward (not outward like a stamp)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome hunt guys! I'm glad y'all did good and had a good time!

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to clean up the button a little more so I can see what's on the shield. Looks like it was in lacquer and paint, and trying not to be too rough on it.
Any thoughts on what to clean it with or just leave well enough alone.
Its smaller, about 12-15 mm, so I'm think cuff button but definitely Union.

101_1966.JPG

Last edited:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Find :thumbsup:. It looks like the standard vertical bar general service shield design.
not sure what to do about that one. sometimes the more you fool with it, the worse it gets.
id probably just leave it how it is. maybe someone else can give you a better suggestion.
If you continue to try and strip the gunk off you will remove all of the patina and it will end up being a orange-ish rust color.
Sometimes the patina holds a lot of the detail.
You may want to post in the cleaning and preservation section for better advice.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy,
That button is cool.
I say leave it as is.

OP
OP
redbronco

redbronco

Mar 28, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a little more warm water and soap, got it a bit cleaner and appears to be an "I" on the shield.
Think I will leave it as is. Going to listen to ya'll and quit before scrub it bare.

chacuff

Mar 19, 2014
Gulfport MS
Detector(s) used
Sold out...gone fishing...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anybody tried an ultrasonic bath? Busts crud loose some times.

Cecil

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this 13.7mm 3-piece US Navy cuff button at our 1840s home site Tuesday, it reminded me of yours Andy.
Normally I wouldn't do this but it was super crusty and ate up so I did a hot peroxide soak. First pic is dipped in mineral oil after a soak in hot peroxide.
Last night I decided to get the green off by a method someone mentioned to me a while back that I had not tried.
First I gave it a little Aluminum Jelly cleaning which helped remove a little of the crud.
Then I used the method mentioned.
I lined a cup with aluminum foil and soaked the button in vinegar overnight for around 15 hours total.
The vinegar removed most of the green. It might have dulled the gold gilt a hair, but this button was toast.
I will say that I think the second pic looks a lot better than the first, and im really surprised I got it looking this good, as it was super ate up with corrosion.
Might go a little longer in the vinegar, after enlarging the photo I can still see some vertigris.
So anyhow, if you want to keep at cleaning it, you might want to give the vinegar in foil method a try.

Attachments

• DSC03386.JPG
    DSC03386.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC03393.JPG
    DSC03393.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK guys, these are some cool buttons.
Keep the pictures coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions