D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting in a park in Ocean Springs this morning when a Parks & Recreation official kicked me out. I told her there were no signs and I couldn't find anything online about not metal detecting in Ocean Springs parks. She said kids will fall in the holes and I said you can look the entire park over and not be able to tell where I dug a coin.. She said I don't care it's against the law. I said I apologize and will leave now..

I did some research this morning and could not find any park regulations prohibiting metal detecting. I do know once a city gets it in their head that people metal detecting leave holes and destroy their parks they can't wait to ban it. I will admit I seen where someone had dug some plugs in the park the other day but since the rain you can't tell where they were at and most often that is the case.. Once in awhile you will see where someone detecting leaves a mess but for the most part you don't see it.

I don't know why but I have a gut feeling someone called her on me...

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She drives that little white truck all day long. Ive even seen her out on Saturdays cruising about.
I dont think detecting is illegal, but i think they have laws saying you cant dig or deface city property.
Those laws are vague and can be interpreted many ways. You did the right thing by walking away.
Somebody probably left holes one time and ruined it for the rest of us.
And yes, you could be right about someone calling. Esp if you were near downtown.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be willing to get/pay for a permit if they would institute one.
Some places require that a "club" or detecting organization sign off on it.
I watch the "Hoover Boys" on youtube (weekly video comes out on Wednesday).
The city just closed their main site they detected they called "Walmart".
They deemed it a historical site and it is off limits now.

Here is an application for a Baltimore permit:
Maryland Free-State Treasure Club Permits

I think hunting in public parks is quickly coming to a close unfortunately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea she drove a little white car and was far from friendly. Like I said i didn't argue with her and told her there were no signs and I would leave immediately.

I was approached one other time by a park official in another city and he told me he had just planted new grass and not to detect there and I apologized and told him I would quit. He said don't go on the ball field but anytime you want to detect go to our office and we will tell you where any off limit places are. I thanked him and he said he observed me and could tell I had been careful cutting flaps and appreciated m approach.

I have hunted a few county parks in Harrison county and no one even looked at me, I haven't tried any county parks in Jackson county but I suspect as long as I leave no trace i been there I wouldn't get any grief.

As always one or two careless people ruin for responsible people. I tried to do research for counties and towns in Mississippi but the only thing I found is you need a permit to hunt State Properties and of course it is prohibited on federal property.

I have a cpl of good producing parks that I have barely scratched so I will keep hunting those until I find more places to hunt without irritating people. The park in Ocean Springs produced well. In three hunts I found some silver, a silver ring and ear ring plus $24 in clad. Although they don't produce much I have hunted several parks in Biloxi with no one even paying attention to what I am doing. The beaches wear you out unless you're lucky and find jewelry but you're lucky to find $1 in clad hunting for a cpl of hours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread