Jackson's military road

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always been interested in the Military Rd. ... I have some maps at home, let me check. I am at work right now. I live in Lowndes County MS.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher, I had posted those maps on one of the forums, let me check. If this does not help, let me know.
Jackson 1.png Jackson 2.png

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost a bingo there. That's a little to far west. The pearl river on the bottom right of the map is Columbia. Which during that time is was Columbus. I would probably be able to get a full nights sleep if you had more!

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, none of the old maps have anything to do with that area. The larger state CW maps have nothing on Columbia or Columbus, Mississippi. You could try the County Tax Assessor's Office. Or the Clerk of Court.

Last edited:

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher: Can you be a little more specific, as to just what you are looking, like the Jackson road to Columbus. As I understand all the roads that lead to Jackson were Jackson Road, or Jackson to Wherever Road. Railroads were named like "Jackson Vicksburg Railroad." What county are looking for, if you do not want to give any specifics?

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think OP is looking for info on Andrew and his opening of the road to New Orleans .... Or not .... :icon_scratch:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We may be thinking about 2 different roads here... Military Road was also called Jacksons Road and in some towns you probably have roads called Jacksons Rd. that have nothing to do with Military Road. Am I making any sense? The Military Road I'm talking about didn't go thru Forrest County.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andrew Jackson came from Florida along "The Old Spanish Trail", which is US 90. He is looking for an old road from Jackson, Mississippi, but going to where?

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The road I'm looking for is the old federal road. There was no such county as Forrest county until 1908. It was perry county at the time. Andrew Jackson's topographical engineer "Major Howell B. Tatum" improved what at the time was the pony express mail route. Andrew Jackson came from Tennessee straight south to Columbia to a muster point on the pearl river seeking advise on how to defeat the British he met a man name skinner at fairly's landing on the chickasaway in green county that referd him to a revolutionary war hero that's who he acquired the idea of putting the mini balls behind the cannon balls. Now reading howell's journal you can follow the same route from Columbia to leaksville as general John wynn Davidson to to destroy the mobile and Ohio railroad to cut supplies off going to the confederate's I've found tons of stuff at fairly's landing and most of my finds have come from Moody's ferry on the leaf river. My best friend owns the property. But my delima is where the heck they crossed the leaf river after they camped at Enon. Hope this extra info helps others to understand what I'm looking for

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says he crossed the Pearl river at Fords Ferry Landing. It is a east place to find.
Tatum.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I fully understand and thanks for that extra info... I love doing research ( not that I will be able to help you with this particular matter) but I will do the best I can and will give you all of the info I can find, if I find any at all. Either here or by PM. Thanks Fisher and good luck! .....On a side note I would like to find places where the construction workers camped as they were building the Military Road and have read about one place North of Lowndes Co. I am still trying to pin down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread