Anaconda Curb Dig Outs

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Highway Department is repaving the two main one way streets through Anaconda and are tearing up most every curb corner to make them more handicapped friendly. I have been detecting every one as they dig them up but am having some competition from another metal detector guy here in town. No matter to me. Seeing as Anaconda is home of the diggers and several of their friends this town has been pretty well cleaned out of the choice spots for detecting the old coins or anything old for that matter.. Well I finally hit the jackpot and after these curb dig outs are gone It will be a sad day for me. So far this is what I have found in two months of detecting these spots. I have only been detecting 2 years and had pretty much given up on finding anything old in my town. Now I will be so spoiled in thinking every time I detect it will be something to match these coins. Most of the buildings in Anaconda have dates in the late 1890's so these finds are from around the time when Anaconda was just being built.

My Best 2015 Finds 003.JPG

l895 V Nickel, 1899 V Nickel, 1901 barber Dime, 1893 Barber Quarter, 1896 V Nickel,1950 Wheat Penny, 5 Cent Token, 1941 Wheat Penny.

Last edited:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
So what does the other side of the token look like?
John in the Great 208

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is pretty rough but looks to be. No 5 as best I can tell and no other writing as far as I can see. The o after the N could also be a lower case q but still lean towards a small o. Would you have any idea ? I could post just a picture of the token and both sides if that would help. Any light you could shed on this token would be much appreciated. A mystery to me. Thanks

Last edited:

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I am over in deer lodge when not out of state for work 80% of the time. Was afraid anaconda was pounded.
Good luck with the tear outs. I am back in MT in a couple weeks. Will gladly join in some fun. Have no problem with 4-5am hunts to beat other guy to the spot. Look forward to your next finds

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. I am over in deer lodge when not out of state for work 80% of the time. Was afraid anaconda was pounded.
Good luck with the tear outs. I am back in MT in a couple weeks. Will gladly join in some fun. Have no problem with 4-5am hunts to beat other guy to the spot. Look forward to your next finds

Howdy MT Josh. They have been working on the curb corner tear outs for a couple of months now to stay ahead of the asphalt laying so they have done both one way streets in town and I don't see anymore being done. The asphalt layers are hot on their heels. I think they got them all and the reason I posted those because I think it is over. I'm pretty bummed as like you said Anaconda has been pounded. Very doubtful I will find anything old like those again. I did the fair grounds in Deerlodge once but all I found were old demolition derby car parts.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy MT Josh. They have been working on the curb corner tear outs for a couple of months now to stay ahead of the asphalt laying so they have done both one way streets in town and I don't see anymore being done. The asphalt layers are hot on their heels. I think they got them all and the reason I posted those because I think it is over. I'm pretty bummed as like you said Anaconda has been pounded. Very doubtful I will find anything old like those again. I did the fair grounds in Deerlodge once but all I found were old demolition derby car parts.

Thanks for the update. Yeah pretty much everything everywhere has been pounded. Though no one ever gets it all. have been marking every mine and structure I can find when out hiking fishing and hunting. Will be out hitting them in national forest and state land. Don't mind hiking a mile or so to try a spot. Will let you know when I am back. Always up for meeting fellow detecorists. Good luck on your hunts

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the update. Yeah pretty much everything everywhere has been pounded. Though no one ever gets it all. have been marking every mine and structure I can find when out hiking fishing and hunting. Will be out hitting them in national forest and state land. Don't mind hiking a mile or so to try a spot. Will let you know when I am back. Always up for meeting fellow detecorists. Good luck on your hunts

Hope you take you metal detector on the road with you. I always think there have got to be better places to detect where the population base is higher than here in Montana. It also seems like the older stuff is better the farther East you go. A guy stopped by to talk while I was out detecting those curbs and he was in construction where was on the road a lot and always brought his detector with him while on the road. He had a huge amount of finds that he must never take out of his truck.

OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
lcollins

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Anaconda 2015 finds 001.JPG Well they have dug out the last of the curb corners and poured the cement on top so the coins I have rescued from obscurity will be my best finds this summer I am sure. Here are the last of them from the curbs found yesterday and today.
1920 Mercury Dime
1902 Barber Quarter
1956 Wheat Penny

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to pull a few more great finds before they where covered up again. Hope you find some more great areas to hunt. I hope to get out next week while up there. Probably explore old camps and mines in the forest

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post... It gives me a new idea to remember if i ever see similar activities occurring in the towns around me...
And of course, GOOD JOB with the coins!! :thumbsup:

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like your patience paid off nicely. Great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread