NEVADAS RULES FOR DETECTING ARE REDICULOUS!!!

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEVADA'S RULES FOR DETECTING ARE REDICULOUS!!!

So I have been involved in this hobby close to 3 years now and have always wondered why i never see any fellow treasure hunters in the area. well now I know why. after doing some research I found that all the state parks require prior written permission to detect IE; beaches, lakes, park trails or local parks. this means city parks as well. and supposedly if you find any artifact prior to 1900 again IE; old coins, buttons, tools, jewelry, guns, and so on MUST be turned in to a park supervisor. And this still does not guarantee that you will be given any recognition for finding the item. And don't even bother trying to hunt an old ghost town. i just found out you need a permit and getting one is harder than buying a gun. Oh and by the way trying to locate a park supervisor to get prior written permission is next to impossible. I called and left a message last week at the supervisors office and it took them 6 days to call me back. Absolutely ridiculous!! no wonder the hobby is not as popular out here as i thought. Now if this doesn't discourage you I don't know what does. Since when did this hobby practically become a criminal offense???? :dontknow: If you are found guilty of this you will spend time in jail and have your equipment confiscated! please correct me if I was given wrong information becuase this just does not make sense. if there is stuff in the ground why let it sit there never to be found. we owe it to history to dig it and show it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: NEVADA'S RULES FOR DETECTING ARE REDICULOUS!!!

It is that way in all state parks in this country as far as I know. In Florida you can only dig in state parks that border a beach, and only then to the base of the sand dunes and you have to get ranger permission as well.

Just because you cant detect state parks doesn't mean you can't detect other places. I hunt in city and county parks with no problems, but I also leave no sign I was there. I use the e-z-diger system,

If I lived in Nv, I would be hunting the old gold and silver mining areas as well as looking for meteorites. I would also hunt along the rivers where people swim and boat as well as old homesteads....Lots to hunt there.....

Good luck and good hunting.............

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Carson, you are incorrect when you say: " .... this means city parks as well." There are different government jurisdictions within all states: Fed. land, State land, county land, and city land, right? So just because a state park's system supposedly has a rule, does not mean it passes down to county and city level parks, land, schools, etc... The state has their own parks and/or land within each state. But a county park and city park are not bound by those same rules. They can make their own rules, or, as is most often the case on city and county levels, there is nothing at all addressing metal detecting ;D (so leave it that way and go!)

But back to the state level rules, where did you read/see that Nevada state-owned land disallows (essentially) all md'ing, without permission from a park ranger? CA too has something like this ("alert the ranger upon coming and going" blah blah) But some CA parks and ALL state of CA beaches are routinely detected here, with no problem. Naturally if you are snooping around an obvious historical monument, or being a nuisance, someone will take issue.

I think the reason some states have rules like this ("inquire at each kiosk"), is that .... decades ago ..... when someone took it upon themselves to inquire of each of the 50 states, you can imagine the task of the person opening such an inquiry letter. If someone asks "can we metal detect?" or "what are the laws regarding md'ing at your state parks?", you have to realize that .... admittedly within any given state, there will no doubt be sensitive historical type monuments. Then of course, there will be parks where no one cares (just innocuous beaches, turf, etc...) So if you were the bureaucrat trying to answer such an inquiry, what do you think the easy answer would be? Obviously they won't go into volumes of detail: "yes at this park, but no in front of this historic cabin, yes on this beach, but no at the back part of this fort site, blah blah blah". So what's the easy answer? Either "No", or "inquire at each kiosk".

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250

This information does not surprise me. When I lived in Nevada about 30 years ago it was required that you obtain a business license when you sold anything other than at a yard sale; for instance, it was illegal to operate a lemonade stand without a license (I'm not kidding). At the time, a business license was $10,000. I lived in Las Vegas; the rest of the state may be different. I now live in New Mexico; I believe a business license here is $35.
No wonder only organized crime can afford to operate in Nevada.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I think the reason some states have rules like this ("inquire at each kiosk"), is that .... decades ago ..... when someone took it upon themselves to inquire of each of the 50 states, you can imagine the task of the person opening such an inquiry letter. If someone asks "can we metal detect?" or "what are the laws regarding md'ing at your state parks?", you have to realize that .... admittedly within any given state, there will no doubt be sensitive historical type monuments. Then of course, there will be parks where no one cares (just innocuous beaches, turf, etc...) So if you were the bureaucrat trying to answer such an inquiry, what do you think the easy answer would be? Obviously they won't go into volumes of detail: "yes at this park, but no in front of this historic cabin, yes on this beach, but no at the back part of this fort site, blah blah blah". So what's the easy answer? Either "No", or "inquire at each kiosk". From Tom of CA.

The park managers take the easy route and just say NO. It is best to just go detect and keep a low profile. Don't dig any holes, use a screwdriver and leave the place cleaner than you found it. If approached by a "ranger" and told detecting isn't allowed, apologise and say that you didn't know about it and are only looking for some recent coins to maybe buy a coffee or Coke. Smile an show the junk you have found and I used to carry a plastic garbage bag with some trash that I had picked up. This goes a long way toward getting you to detect the area while he looks the other way. You may never get written permission, but you won't need it if you are friendly to the manager. He considers the park his, treat it as such and you will get to detect sometimes.

C

coloradocav

Welcome to beginning communism! Check out the state of washington's regulations. Times coming where any digging will be outlawed. I don't know about you but I don't want to find anything newer than 50 years old, the older the better! Good luck.

C

Cappy Z.

If people don't organize against the ruling oligarchy then in short time we the people will have no power at all.

I am not for violence. But I honestly believe there is way too much govt. Millions of people employed as govt non-workers (lol) and living off the backs of the working American.

We need to reduce govts on all levels, Fed State Municipal County and local by 80%. Govt is a cancer that is killing our country.

I am anti-Govt. And I am proud of it.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Were do I begin with this thread????? Start with the original post I see.

"if there is stuff in the ground why let it sit there never to be found. we owe it to history to dig it and show it."

NO: you do not owe IT:
And short of permission, on any thing but your own land, you do not, and never had a RIGHT to take it. You do not own IT with out permission.

Again with that strange idea, (you have to save history); I have seen in so many variations. Any more they just seem to be an excuse for a obsession of IT.

How old are them laws in that state?? Why do you think they made them??

By the way "Since when did this hobby practically become a criminal offense?":
On federal land since about 1906, before the metal detector was even made. State laws vary in the age that cover such.

If you find your self willing to break the rules, and laws ask your self WHY?? A lot of folks seem to cross this line, and never under even ask why. Is it really worth it??

Does IT have so much power over a person, that they will ignore basic respect for land, not owned by the individual doing the hunting??

Best advice is to work private property with written permission.

On the rest of this thread, some advice you have been given is good, some well; questionable.
Some advice just ignores basic respect for others property (that included public land) it seems, using the excuse they respect IT more than any one else.

Remember to CYA always. A few relics in not worth the trouble it can cause you if you do not cover your own self.

And most of all: do not let the call, itch or what ever, for IT: to overcome your basic respect for others, and others property.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK well on that note I respect your response but I very much disagree with you LostCauses. When I said we owe it to history to dig these items of historical value I mean that by we owe it to our kids and there kids after. What do you think our conception of history would be like if we did not have people digging things up even 100 + years ago. we would have no Smithsonian institute. we would have no state museums, there would be no artifacts with historic reference to enjoy and maybe learn a thing or two by. And on the topic of private property I never said anything about just going onto private property without permission and just start pulling stuff out of the ground. I was talking about PUBLIC! state county and city land that MY! tax dollars and YOUR!! tax dollars paid for us to use. these places may be listed as owned by local or federal government but when it all comes down to it it is owned by the American tax payer. And if I have to pay to use these public places well damn it I am going to use them. I agree with BillyBud 100% there is to much government regulating everything. this is what is happening to our country they are slowly taking away little by little the rights we as Americans have and enjoy. this will eventually lead to the destruction of our constitution. The bottom line is if people respect the grounds in which they dig there should be no reason for these things to sit in the ground and rot. This may just be a simple hobby for some but for others this is much more than that.

[/quote]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Carson: Well said. Like you, I happen to believe that finding merc's and barbers & such on a park, school, beach, etc.... is a perfectly legitimate usage of those places. Ie.: just like someone going to fly a kite, swing from the swing sets, jog the track, etc.... So too is md'ing a proper & correct usage of these places :hello:

To think otherwise, and think that permission is needed (like lost-causes says) from a public place THAT DOESN'T DISALLOW md'ing, is to have already lost the battle. If a park or school (on a city or county level, for instance), has nothing addressing md'ing, then NO, there is no more discussion. You would no more need to ask if you can detect, than you would for flying a kite or drinking from the fountain. Beause if you think you have to ask, is to merely pre-assume that something is so inherently with you or your hobby, that you had to ask, to begin with! In other words, why would you have asked, if there isn't something inherently wrong? You see how you've lost before you start, with that mindset? And then you end up getting "no's" where quite frankly, no one you're talking to would probably otherwise have even noticed you or cared (until you asked).

We may not be able to stop the state and federal level cultural heritage 50 yr. old junk that's already there, but let's not let it progress to the city and county levels. The best way to do that, is to stop asking dumb questions! Just be discreet (like picking your nose: no one objects, as long as your discreet), don't make a mess, avoid obvious historical landmarks, etc....

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Respect is the name of the game, seems to be lacking in our modern world.

I need to ask you some questions:
"When I said we owe it to history to dig these items of historical value I mean that by we owe it to our kids and there kids after."

So you donate all finds to a museum????

As for museums, they were the major groups paying for the relics of the past, before archeology decided to put a stop to it about 1906.

As for the archeology view of metal detectorists: well they destroy information that those kids could gain from, not just the item.

As for the same old, same old. Well I personally thing areas that in truth are of no value to archeologist (like never will do a dig, or anything else) should be used by the public. That item that will not be replaced could be found by relic hunters. Just becase an item is a non renuable sorce, does not mean it just belongs to the archeologist.

Yet public management, seems to think that non renewable resource should go to that part of the public, such as city, county state, and federal.

I am not sure if I had to run such, I would disagree with them. The whole of the people own the land, and such material on it, why should I or any real manager allow just a few to say they do???

As for this crap, yes I said crap: "MY! tax dollars and YOUR!! tax dollars paid for us to use"

Tax dollars are for the running of the city, count, state, and federal government. It does not give any individual RIGHTS..
Don't pay them and find the only right you get from them is not contained in jail, and any money you get will go away....

What the hell do they teach in school these days???

"owned by the American tax payer": I a dressed this already but will say it: owned by "all", not one! Your idea of a rights by paying taxes ends: right were the next taxpayer starts there rights.

" I agree with BillyBud 100% there is to much government regulating everything."

Hmm again what do they teach in school?? More people, more rules and laws. Just a situation of growth of population..

Yet it is the attitudes, statements, and actions of people that cause laws. One person can mess it all up for the many in metal detecting.
As for that stuff rotting in the ground, How long again has it been there???????

And this statment "This may just be a simple hobby for some but for others this is much more than that."
I agree with this.
And after that point it gets strange, very strange..... A person who would never think of disrespect of others, property, or law; will sneak in, just go in with out permission, and even knowingly break the law. They have become a problem to themselves, others and community. I do believe those are the main reason laws are made. A few fools that can not control them selves can ruin it for all.

as for the next post: "You see how you've lost before you start, with that mindset? And then you end up getting "no's" where quite frankly, no one you're talking to would probably otherwise have even noticed you or cared (until you asked)."

Sooner or later this attitude will cost you. You might even find your self in jail!

Carson_wreckmaster said:
OK well on that note I respect your response but I very much disagree with you LostCauses. When I said we owe it to history to dig these items of historical value I mean that by we owe it to our kids and there kids after. What do you think our conception of history would be like if we did not have people digging things up even 100 + years ago. we would have no Smithsonian institute. we would have no state museums, there would be no artifacts with historic reference to enjoy and maybe learn a thing or two by. And on the topic of private property I never said anything about just going onto private property without permission and just start pulling stuff out of the ground. I was talking about PUBLIC! state county and city land that MY! tax dollars and YOUR!! tax dollars paid for us to use. these places may be listed as owned by local or federal government but when it all comes down to it it is owned by the American tax payer. And if I have to pay to use these public places well damn it I am going to use them. I agree with BillyBud 100% there is to much government regulating everything. this is what is happening to our country they are slowly taking away little by little the rights we as Americans have and enjoy. this will eventually lead to the destruction of our constitution. The bottom line is if people respect the grounds in which they dig there should be no reason for these things to sit in the ground and rot. This may just be a simple hobby for some but for others this is much more than that.
[/quote]

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From what i sounds like lost causes is you are against metal detecting in general. I may be wrong about that but you are sounding very negative towards the hobby and you are a member of a forum that the main topic is metal detecting. Makes no sense to me :dontknow: lets leave it at this. I disagree with you on many aspects, but you, like myself are entitled to there own opinion and that my good sir is a "RIGHT" that i still enjoy to this day. as far as metal detecting goes. I am willing to take the risk of landing myself in "jail" to get a chance to find that relic, or old coin, or diamond ring what ever the case may be. Because frankly I would love to see the look on the judges face when he reads the case "MAN CHARGED FOR METAL DETECTING ON A STATE BEACH WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION AND FOUND $6.00 IN CLAD A SILVER RING AND A SET OF CAR KEYS!" sounds pretty stupid when you put it that way doesn't it? I find it hard to think a judge is going to throw a guy in jail with rapists and murderers for being a dork and having a hobby. If you don't aprove of the hobby maybe it is time for you to join a forum that talks about stuff like saving the whales or preventing hog flu or what ever it is liberal cookoos talk about. that's all i have to say about it.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

if it's public property, MD until a law enforcement officer tells you differently.
keep a low profile, respect the area, don't leave any holes, clean up after yourself
basically, treat it like it's your yard, in front of your house.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffer said:
if it's public property, MD until a law enforcement officer tells you differently.
keep a low profile, respect the area, don't leave any holes, clean up after yourself

by all means I do. I always respect the grounds I detect. All it took was a few bad eggs to leave a bunch of holes in the turf at parks and such to ruin it for all of us

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Ahh the same old things. Most will not prosecute you for such but it only takes one time. Ignorance is no excuse to break the law.
The do not have to ask you to leave, they can just bust you. Depending on the laws and land that could cost you about every thing you own.

Sniffer said:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

who said anything about breaking the law ? even if it's not illegal, if an officer asks you to leave and you don't you can still be arrested.
it all comes down to respect, if you treat them like dirt, you'll be treated the same

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffer said:
who said anything about breaking the law ? even if it's not illegal, if an officer asks you to leave and you don't you can still be arrested.
it all comes down to respect, if you treat them like dirt, you'll be treated the same

hey sniffer there is no use arguing this topic with lost causes, he is set in his ways and for some reason thinks he is right about everything. The bottom line is almost anywhere you go if you are metal detecting in an area that is set aside for use by the public and you are doing so in a respectful manner you will most likely not be bothered. and if you are the worst they will do is ask you to leave. I have many friends that are police officers deputy's and so on and i have brought this to there attention and they all said the same thing if the guy isn't harassing anyone or destroying property they won't say a thing and if they are in an area that they are not supposed to be in they will just ask them to leave because they do not want to waste there time with paper work or the judges time in something so unnecessary as arresting someone for metal detecting. And If for some ridiculous reason you are arrested for M-ding, any good attorney would have the case thrown out of court unless you were really doing something illegal.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

True,

Sniffer said:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Have you had to try that attorney?? How much does that attorney cost???

My mind is simple.
Know if it is allowed or not.
Get permission from the right full land owner; or stay off. That is my opinion, and how I work.
Saves trouble all around.

Some go with the do it until told other wise.
I see that as unethical. My opinion of course.
I sure would not want some one doing that on my property.
Some may be able to do that and never have a problem. Some will have a problem. It is an individuals choice.

Carson_wreckmaster said:
Sniffer said:

hey sniffer there is no use arguing this topic with lost causes, he is set in his ways and for some reason thinks he is right about everything. The bottom line is almost anywhere you go if you are metal detecting in an area that is set aside for use by the public and you are doing so in a respectful manner you will most likely not be bothered. and if you are the worst they will do is ask you to leave. I have many friends that are police officers deputy's and so on and i have brought this to there attention and they all said the same thing if the guy isn't harassing anyone or destroying property they won't say a thing and if they are in an area that they are not supposed to be in they will just ask them to leave because they do not want to waste there time with paper work or the judges time in something so unnecessary as arresting someone for metal detecting. And If for some ridiculous reason you are arrested for M-ding, any good attorney would have the case thrown out of court unless you were really doing something illegal.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't even know why we are even bringing the topic of private property up in the first place I started this post on the topic that the laws that are in effect for our public lands, parks etc are ridiculous. It goes without saying of course you ask permission to detect PRIVATE property, I know in my state if you just wonder onto someones property with out permission thats a good way to get shot! end of conversation there is no use even arguing this. Most everyone that has read this agrees with me on this except for lostcauses. like I said end of topic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread