found 1863 indian head

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
found the other day dirty as can be,it was actually being pushed up by an old tree cant believ it but true.also found a old silver coin i think is british it has a woman on the front with the word victoria on the left she is facing left on the back is a wreath circle in the middle of the coin and it looks like a numeral 1 i am afraid to clean it?any suggestions what to do? thanks

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like an old Canadian coin. Most likely late 1800's to early 1900's. If it is silver you can rinse it with water, being careful not to scratch it.

Nice find from our area! I would love to see a picture!

OP
OP
G

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
do you think i could put in wifes jewelry cleaner without harm to it? since i cant see its real beauty i was thinking what the hell should i go for it? it looks like the coin on lost treasure magazine there is a gold soverign on the cover victoria but the back is different and i dont think its gold. man almost thought i had my first gold coin.awesome gotta keep searching

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
goldeagle said:
do you think i could put in wifes jewelry cleaner without harm to it? since i cant see its real beauty i was thinking what the hell should i go for it? it looks like the coin on lost treasure magazine there is a gold soverign on the cover victoria but the back is different and i dont think its gold. man almost thought i had my first gold coin.awesome gotta keep searching

I would not do any type of cleaning unless you are not sure that it is not a valuable coin. Do you have a digital camera? Even a cell phone picture or web cam picture might be helpful to ID it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread