New Jersey Miser Hoards Found

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Details of multiple finds can be found in Treasure Hunting Annual Volume 1, p. 85, in an article by Dave Rendina entitled "Recovery of N. J. Miser Hoard: No Accident".

Article details how a treasure hunter "Charlie Dollar" located 3 different caches at the property of an old miser that his father had worked for when the treasure hunter was a young boy. He remembered his father being paid with a $5 gold coin. He relates that his father told him when the miser had to pay his property taxes he left his barn with a shovel, and later returned "with enough gold coins to pay the bill." The purchase of a piece of machinery required the same process.

When the miser died, his neighbors made attempts to find the miser's caches. But as this was long before metal detectors were available, nothing was found, and the caches were gradually forgotten in time. Except for Charlie's memories.

The original farmsite was fairly large. Charlie is said to have begun looking for the miser's cache(s) in 1975, working very methodically and slowly on each section before crossing it off his map. After several months, he found the first cache at 7 inches deep in a broken glass jar. There were exactly 100 silver dollars in this first cache. All were dated 1880-1895.

Charlie is quoted as saying "I really had a case of mixed emotinos. While I was thrilled over the discovery of all those silver dollars, I still felt a little bit disappointed because they were not gold. thinking basck I'm sure that the first discovery being silver was to my advantage. Had it been gold, I may have assumed that I had found it all and scrapped the project. As it was I had silver in my hands but was still convinced that gold was buried out there somewhere. Noe the picture in my mkind was one of gold AND silver. I was more determined than ever."

A few weeks later Charlie found a second cache containing 28 gold coins including $20, $10, $5 and $2.50 pieces inside the rusting remains of an old can which had rusted away and welded the coins into a single blob.

Again, Charlie didn't believe he had found everything, so continued his search.

Fall of 1978 he uncovered yet a third cache, containing 152 coins, mostly silver dollars, halfs and quarters. But also including two $5 gold pieces. All the coins had been buried in a glass jar which had broken. Some of these coins dated back to 1822, and may have been part of a rumored "inheritance" the miser had received.

With three caches already found, you might think that Charlie has stopped searching. But he still thinks there is more money buried on the site. So, if you live in New Jersey, you might want to get a copy of Treasure Hunting Annual Volume 1, and read the whole story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread