Found 3 mines in the Ladrones!!!

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went up to the Ladrones mountains today 1/26/12 to do some exploring. On my trip I found 3 mines! two are approx. 40ft deep straight down and appear to continue underground. The 3rd one is approx. 25ft deep and grounds out either filled in or abandoned there's a wooden ladder at the bottom. If anyone's interested in exploring them with me let me know!

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to explore many mines until they closed them or buried them.
I have climbing equipment and spelunking equipment.
It sure would be cool to check these out.
Post your pics so I get a glance.
I am in Albuquerque but may be able to make time in March.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds interesting I would go with you also, but doubt I would drop down into any shaft, but I would cheer you on :hello2:
I also live in Albuquerque.
Marty

OP
OP
1stTimeProspector

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1stTimeProspector said:
I went up to the Ladrones mountains today 1/26/12 to do some exploring. On my trip I found 3 mines! two are approx. 40ft deep straight down and appear to continue underground. The 3rd one is approx. 25ft deep and grounds out either filled in or abandoned there's a wooden ladder at the bottom. If anyone's interested in exploring them with me feel free to reply on here or email me [email protected] I do have pics of them as well.

Attachments

• mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 894
  • mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 812

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 4" & 8" Coil, and F-Point Pinpointer, Whites Eagle II, Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter, Modified VLF WaterDetector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those look way cool. One thing abount many NM mines is they are granite. Most I have been in were pretty safe in most sections. Although they tend to have some dangerous cross sections.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
chrisplay2004 said:
Wow, those look way cool. One thing abount many NM mines is they are granite. Most I have been in were pretty safe in most sections. Although they tend to have some dangerous cross sections.

That vertical shaft appears to be untimbered, which indicates solid ground. In any case, please be careful if you attempt to explore these old workings. Loose rock, bad air and other hazards can exist in all old mines and caves. Many experienced folks have encountered unexpected problems in these places. Be sure to let somebody know where you are and when you expect to return.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad air (you mean methane?) Toss a lit torch in before having a look-see.........MM

OP
OP
1stTimeProspector

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chrisplay2004 said:
Can you tell what kind of rock that is from the pics at all?

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ladrone is mostly granite. Please do not toss a torch in, you could create a really bad explosion. It is easy to find out about methane just by repelling down the shaft. About 3/4 of the way down you usually can smell it. However, once down there you may find pockets of methane in the cross sections. To date I have have only come across one mine with methane in NM and never encountered it in any cave. I have explored about 150 cave systems and 50+ mines in NM. In additioin, I have explored caves and mines in Mexico and accross the US. One rule I always follow is to have a team of at least 3 people.

OP
OP
1stTimeProspector

1stTimeProspector

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2011
Belen, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chrisplay2004 said:
Ladrone is mostly granite. Please do not toss a torch in, you could create a really bad explosion. It is easy to find out about methane just by repelling down the shaft. About 3/4 of the way down you usually can smell it. However, once down there you may find pockets of methane in the cross sections. To date I have have only come across one mine with methane in NM and never encountered it in any cave. I have explored about 150 cave systems and 50+ mines in NM. In additioin, I have explored caves and mines in Mexico and accross the US. One rule I always follow is to have a team of at least 3 people.
Yeah I wouldn't be dumb enough to do that anyway! Sounds like you have been busy!! Have you ever found anything in these mines or caves that you have gone in to? Thanks for the tips it's greatly appreciated!

chrisplay2004

Feb 28, 2008
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some of my equipment to keep me safe. In my pm to 1stTimeprospec I forgot to mention a Harness. You will see three of mine in these photos. Notice the scratches on my helmet. You will be suprised how often you bump your headoin tight spaces like mines.
Pic 1 is Carabiners, Figure 8 descenders and pulley.
Pic 2 is Swiss made Juamr Ascenders
Pic 3 is three different harness's
Pic 4 is two of my newer ropes
Pic 5 shows my Helmet with everything under it

Attachments

• IMG_0875.JPG
    IMG_0875.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 715

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone wana play?? hehe Found gold in Washes outside of the Ladrones,, but now im working a mine (good vein) anyhoo Hollar if your going somewhere ,, need a lookout or a partner in crime! (Disclaimer: Will not help to bury Bodies till we've had Lunch!)

snoman5150

May 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down!
I am not a cave diver by any means but I have a few good flashlights and some rope......
better yet I have a rock hammer and a drill! If you have a decent little sweet spot I'd come put in some physical labor for a share in the bounty!
Where are the Ladrones? I haven't been in Albuquerque that long but have never heard of them.

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello 1time prospector,

Care to tell me about your trip, what was down in the mines?
Did you find any ore veins?

If you wanta prospecting partner i am herein Northern NM.
[email protected]

Barton

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha, been gone a while trying to make it on a single mine, there are 31000+ abandoned mines here in nm, and I've been to a bunch. I'm all ways down to go or to send someone to the right one. Hit me up [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread