Refreshing NY Arena Posts

bigmac6006

Oct 6, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Ok, I'm a little concerned. It seems us NY'rs are not representing ourselves well on this web forum. I'm not a big posting type of guy, but I do enjoy reading about finds of this cyber club. I just wish there was more news from NY. What have you folks found? I'm new with a good metal detector, but so far (I purchased my DFX last month) I have found a bunch of melted pewtor on a beach in Western New York, and a bunch of clad coins... 50 so far. I know there is more interesting stuff out there. We have as much history in our state as any of the 13 colonies (if not more). What are we finding? What sort of problems are we running into?

OP
OP
B

bigmac6006

Oct 6, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Well, I found an old structure -- early to middle 1800s, but unfortunately many before me found it too; an made a metal mess of it. It is deep in an Erie County park. Pretty cool place. All that is left of it is the stone foundation and chimney. It was built on an overlook close to a creek. I assume it was used as a loggers home, as that was what the area was known for during the time period. Found a lot of junk and cleaned up the sight a bit. I am going to go to the historical society and ask some of my mountain bike buddies if they know the history. Few more prospects in the near future.

OP
OP
B

bigmac6006

Oct 6, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Got a bit overwhelmed today, as I dropped back and reviewed a bunch of research. Found about 50 additional hunt spots along the trails I treed. Tomorrow is a gorge day. No MD, will take the pinpointer and shovel. Don't expect to find much, but I will be on one of Western New York's most prized trails dating back to the 18th century. Hope the weather holds out.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a lot of finds but as djabend said we post in todays finds i posted in her a few times not many relpys so i just gave up so and yes i have found a lot of cool finds like walker halfs indian head pennies merc dimes flying eagle cents silver rosies plenty of relics and wheats 2 cent pieces buffalo nickels rings tax tokens so if your ever near the oswego area let me know i got a few nice spots first pic is my 2 flying eagle cents second is my walker

Attachments

• july4th 022.jpg
    july4th 022.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 938
  • HPIM3253.jpg
    HPIM3253.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 944
  • HPIM3253.jpg
    HPIM3253.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 912
  • july4th 022.jpg
    july4th 022.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 912
OP
OP
B

bigmac6006

Oct 6, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Excellent finds for both of you! I just got my DFX two months ago, and unfortunately, haven't had to much time to hunt with it. I spend my best times outdoors, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc. My buddy and I just did a little imprompt legend hunt Friday (as my earlier post alluded too). We hiked some rough terrain. Found five 1800's foundations, remains of an early 1800's foot bridge (British, I am assuming), and he found five dollars (LOL... it was a 2004 Lincoln). I didn't take the detector, because we were up against the rain, and wished to cover some serious ground. We meet the objective of the hike, got poored on during the walk back, and made it out of the creek bed about 1 hour before a flash flood warning posted for the exact area we were in. We weeded out approximately four miles of prospective land for the legend. Planning the next leg. May go back for more on Thursday. It all depends if our third partner is available. We could use another mind and set of eyes. My buddy hasn't really had an interest in MD'g, but I think the idea is growing on him. I could definitely use some more research time, but with NY weather being so good this summer, I can't bring myself to stay in doors. All my MD'g days are pretty much point and shoot with minimal research of old maps I have on hand. The biggest problem with Western New York and east to Central NY, is that very little is written concerning treasure legends and finds (thanks to our money abusing politicians, I can see why). I just want to make one good find this summer or fall; then I can move on to ski season! I do a lot of woods, fields, and rural searching, and boy... because the weather has been so nice, so has all the green growth. That makes swing a detector a challenge. I would love to blast out to both of your areas and bang around with you guys for a day or so. The best part about this hobby is the history lessons I pick up while looking for lost items. I guess it is safe to say that history and my fever for it, lead me to this hobby. Talk to you both soon!

L

LandStar

You guys should consider yourselves lucky...I live in Syracuse, NY...All of our history is buried under industrial waste, streets, buildings, or pull tabs and screw caps from the local alchies...Syracuse has a serious alchohol problem...I have been hunting this area for 5 years, and have not found very much to show for it...Then again, I do not drive, so I am not able to get out to the areas I would like to hit unless I go with my friends.

HH,

BttleDiggerDrew

Aug 12, 2010
Rockland County, NY
bigmac6006 said:
Ok, I'm a little concerned. It seems us NY'rs are not representing ourselves well on this web forum. I'm not a big posting type of guy, but I do enjoy reading about finds of this cyber club. I just wish there was more news from NY. What have you folks found? I'm new with a good metal detector, but so far (I purchased my DFX last month) I have found a bunch of melted pewtor on a beach in Western New York, and a bunch of clad coins... 50 so far. I know there is more interesting stuff out there. We have as much history in our state as any of the 13 colonies (if not more). What are we finding? What sort of problems are we running into?

Im new here, and a bottle junky

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigmac6006 said:
hi
I`v been hunting and findin all kinds of stuff here in so.cent. NY for 37 yrs.
In 1779 GEN.Sullivan chased the hole 7 nations indians from Newtown southern NY on the Chemung river to the middle of the state up through the Finger Lakes,thousands of the indians went to Canada and along the way they lost stuff research the Sullivan Clinton Campaign,here 1 site
(WWW.earlyamerica.com/review/1998/sullivan.html
Heres a book that can be bought at Kellyco has NY state in it for $9.95
And some stuff a Washington store token,buttons Batwing buckle.
We have a lot of history you just have to research it.....hunt plowed fields in the spring and cut hay fields in the summer and cut corn fields in the fall they r full of stuff... 200 hunderd years of workin the fields allmost every day lost buttons old coppers personal items.
thanks G.A.P.metal

Attachments

• Picture 31.jpg
    Picture 31.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Picture 40.jpg
    Picture 40.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Picture 48.jpg
    Picture 48.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,269
  • Picture 40.jpg
    Picture 40.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Picture 31.jpg
    Picture 31.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Picture 65.jpg
    Picture 65.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 821
  • Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Picture 65.jpg
    Picture 65.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 813
  • Picture 65.jpg
    Picture 65.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 818
  • Picture 37.jpg
    Picture 37.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,266
  • Picture 40.jpg
    Picture 40.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,259
  • Picture 31.jpg
    Picture 31.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • Picture 31.jpg
    Picture 31.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,248
  • Picture 40.jpg
    Picture 40.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Picture 48.jpg
    Picture 48.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,251

longislandpirate

Apr 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
At Pro, Fisher CZ-20, XP Deus
Fairly new to MDing. As of now I only found some clad. Looking for a good area to Detect. Drop me a line if you know of any good areas. :hello2:

WNYDigger

Greenie
Apr 25, 2011
I am new to this sit, I live in Cheektowaga NY and I am in the process to buy my first Garrett 250 or 350 and will be looking for someone to show me the ropes a bit. :hello:

wstgo

May 3, 2011
Canastota, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
I am in Canastota NY just east of Syracuse. Always looking for someone to detect with. There is a ton of history in New York, just go to your local Library and take out some books on local history, you will be surprised. Three words:Research...Research....Research!

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Treasure Book on the posting I have the same one and has some great valueable leads. Alot of colonial history unfortunately is buried under alot of asphalt and concrete. Wall Street is loaded with history major battle was fought there during Revolutionary War.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when i post it's in today's finds
but here is a link to my server that has a lot of pictures of stuff i have found
lately i have been getting lazy at taken pictures
this year i have well over 30 large coppers most can not be id-ed
http://98.15.160.45/detecting

DrWatson

Greenie
Apr 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi
I`v been hunting and findin all kinds of stuff here in so.cent. NY for 37 yrs.
In 1779 GEN.Sullivan chased the hole 7 nations indians from Newtown southern NY on the Chemung river to the middle of the state up through the Finger Lakes,thousands of the indians went to Canada and along the way they lost stuff research the Sullivan Clinton Campaign,here 1 site
(The 1779 Sullivan Campaign
Heres a book that can be bought at Kellyco has NY state in it for $9.95
And some stuff a Washington store token,buttons Batwing buckle.
We have a lot of history you just have to research it.....hunt plowed fields in the spring and cut hay fields in the summer and cut corn fields in the fall they r full of stuff... 200 hunderd years of workin the fields allmost every day lost buttons old coppers personal items.
thanks G.A.P.metal

Thanks for the great tips.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread