Looking for some spots to try out my detector?

tdugan

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
ft bragg/ cameron
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? trying to find a place to start using my metal detector in NC I'm in the Cameron/spring lake area
does any know of some places I don't know enough people around here yet to ask we had just moved here this July
so if any one could give me a little info that would be great I'm looking to go out this weekend I would even meet up with some people
as I am new to detecting and not that good would love some pointers .I'm also trying to get my husband into it.

thank you, Tina

mike27870

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any lakes, beaches, parks

??? trying to find a place to start using my metal detector in NC I'm in the Cameron/spring lake area
does any know of some places I don't know enough people around here yet to ask we had just moved here this July
so if any one could give me a little info that would be great I'm looking to go out this weekend I would even meet up with some people
as I am new to detecting and not that good would love some pointers .I'm also trying to get my husband into it.

thank you, Tina
try beaches, lakes, parks etc

wpkas

Sep 25, 2013
Fuquay Varina, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area

Tina, Kure Beach is a great place to find bullets. I stay at the Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area and up until this past spring it was a sure thing to find .30 and .50 cal bullets all over the beach. I've even found them on the surface after a heavy rain and sometimes in the surf! A tropical storm in 2011 eroded the beach quite a bit so this past spring the town used off shore sand to rebuild it. The beach is great but there is now several feet of "new" sand so this past weekend we didn't find anything. The area I'm talking about is directly across from the Rec Area just north of the Fort Fisher Civil War site where it is legal to metal detect. Metal detecting at the Rec Area and the Civil War site is prohibited. You might have some luck farther up the beach toward the Kure Beach pier but I've never had to go up there because of what we could find a little farther south. I'll be going again in December and will try up towards the pier. Please let me know if you go before then and if you have any luck!

stonewallsmen

Feb 18, 2011
Fort Bragg
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I am stationed at Bragg. Would be glad to link up with you sometime. I also have a detecting club in Fayetteville. If you're interested in either let me know.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Tima. I am not fromt he area bud start in so,e parks. Also find a local club and go tot he meeting. Someone should be interested in helping you and taking you out to show you the ropes. Gerry

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tina! Clubs are a great place to begin. Folks there will be familiar with your area and will be very welcoming to you. Most of public areas - parks, schools, etc. have been hit pretty hard although they can be very useful in learning the hobby and your machine. If you hunt these places be sure to listen for the lower gold tones (as in jewelry) because most people listen for the high coin tones and miss the lower gold tones. As far as not knowing anyone well enough to ask, asking permission from people we don't know is something most of us are facing these days. Check out youtube for a guy with the handle cutaplug he has a good video on getting permission. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
tdugan

tdugan

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
ft bragg/ cameron
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi sorry have not been on the site I'm going to try the Kure beach soon maybe in the next two weeks I'll let to know if I have any luck .thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread