1828 Matron Head Large Cent

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I haven't hunted much this year with coming out of retirement to do a special project at my old employer. Several weeks ago I was able to hunt the sports complex (pic below taken last year) that had a lacrosse tournament earlier this month, so I thought I'd go out after it quit raining for a short hunt...try to get back into the "swing" of things. It was somewhat humid but the temperature was only in the mid 70s. I had my DFX set on a modified coin program. First I found a presidential dollar coin (Monroe), then some clad and a 10 cent Euro from Germany (only my second Euro). Near the concession building, a few yards from the sidewalk, I got a real clear tone, VDI of 86, six inched deep. Well, that certainly wasn't something lost recently. I dug down and as I pulled out the plug, I saw a large, green disc sitting in the bottom of the hole. Due to its size, my first thought...could this be a large cent? I pulled it out...sure enough, an 1828 Matron Head. This is my oldest coin yet...just beating the 1829 LC I found at this same complex 18 months ago. I couldn't believe it. I must have hunted this very area a half dozen times in the last 2 years. How could I miss it all those times? This is the third LC I have found in Ohio in the last 18 months. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 000_0033.JPG
    000_0033.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 100_9966.JPG
    100_9966.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 559
  • 000_0033.JPG
    000_0033.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 100_9966.JPG
    100_9966.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 554

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome back to detecting with a big BANG. WTG very nice find. HH. :thumbsup:

M

michigan michael

Congrats on your LC! :hello2: You found 3 of them? That is freaking sweet! Was there an old farm or homestead on that location in the past? Look like you found an excellent opportunity! Keep em coming! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bedpanmoneyman

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:
Congrats on your LC! :hello2: You found 3 of them? That is freaking sweet! Was there an old farm or homestead on that location in the past? Look like you found an excellent opportunity! Keep em coming! :icon_thumleft:

MM,
It was a field of an old farm owned by a guy named Stokes in the latter half of the 1800s. He became a county commissioner in 1903. History records show he made "improvements" on the land and the map of 1875 showed a structure (house?) in the corner of the farm near the road and railroad tracks. The two LCs I found in the soccer fields were no where near the structure. I'm still doing more research to find out what happened in that area before 1850.
Bill

M

michigan michael

bedpanmoneyman said:
MEMORIAL MAGNET said:

MM,
It was a field of an old farm owned by a guy named Stokes in the latter half of the 1800s. He became a county commissioner in 1903. History records show he made "improvements" on the land and the map of 1875 showed a structure (house?) in the corner of the farm near the road and railroad tracks. The two LCs I found in the soccer fields were no where near the structure. I'm still doing more research to find out what happened in that area before 1850.
Bill

Great research! :icon_thumleft: Have you pulled anything from there since? hope it keeps producing for ya!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread