1833 Bust Dime!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,261888.0.html

Perhaps my first ever even close to banner worthy find. So, my wheat count hasn't been that great lately, and I have a 1000 goal for the year, figured with a little time I could add a few. Went to an older park today this morning and dug a shield nickel at 2.5 inches, along with a bunch of clad. Took a break for lunch and decided to head back over for a bit thinking maybe I could get those wheats and maybe an indian head. First target was the wheat... a 1910, nice. Second was an 1897 indian head. Goals achieved. Next pass I get a blip at the end of the sweep, decide to check it out. 12-43, 12-44 on the E-Trac, a little depth, I'm hoping for a wheat. Ok, so I pull out this coin, it's silver, WOOT! Ok, what the heck is it... I see what looks like a 106? It's bigger than a dime, thicker too with nice strong reeding on the edge... maybe one of those Philippines 10 centavos? No, wait, maybe it's a Barber dime? No, too big. Phillipines... no, keep looking at it... Holy freaking crap, it's a BUST DIME in AWESOME condition! I walk back to the car, gingerly place it on a soft towel I had in the trunk, try to calm my nerves and head back to hunting. Tried to stay focused, but did not find much else, a few modern clad. So, I come home, praying I didn't hit this thing with the digger and gently wash it under the faucet and pat it dry. My oldest and best coin after 19 years detecting, 1833 bust dime in awesome condition. Skipped right over finding seated or large cents.

Attachments

• bust dime.jpg
    bust dime.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 487

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Onw he!! of a fine Nick. that coin must have dropped out of a pocket on the way home from the bank. You going to send it in and have it graded and restored ?

OP
OP
Nick A

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Yes, it will be going to NCS for cleaning and then it will be slabbed.

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Please post it when it gets back from there. Interested in how it comes out and what grade they give it. I am thinking its going to come back close to XF, but being a ground find who knows what under that dirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions