There Are Plenty of Good Finds Still Waiting to Be Found in Ohio

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's time to breath some life into this sub forum.

I started the hobby in 2014 and hit almost every park, school, and sports complex in a 40 x 50 mile area, as well as a few permissions. Here's most of the clad I dug between May and Dec 31st. Just know I spent about $40 in quarters which are not in the pick as well as the relics and keeper coins.

20150111_151539.jpg

2015 was much better than 2014 since I had plenty of permissions, even dug an 1877 Indian Head Cent.

2015 Notable Finds

20160103_013705.jpg

20160104_070616.jpg

20160104_071627.jpg

2016 was comparable to 2015 since I had plenty of permissions to hunt.

2016 Notable Finds

20170209_082345.jpg

20170209_082757.jpg

20170209_082927.jpg

20170213_201805.jpg

2016 clad rolled to be deposited in my hobby account. I only run my pennies through the coin star and let the machine identify the good from the bad.

If you are curious to what I dig each hunt, I invite you to look at my albums on my profile page. I began to document each hunt in 2015, wish I'd have started back in 2014 since on many hunts I averaged any wheres from $5.00 to $8.00 per hour instead of the $1.50 I avg per hour at most sites. I did have 2 virgin public spots that both gave up over $200 in clad.

If you're ever going to be in the neighborhood (Wellington Ohio area), be sure you PM me in advance so we can meet and get a few permissions under our belt.

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some great finds over the past few years Loco! Shows that perseverance does pay off!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo sweet to see it all in pics. Congrats loco !!! Thats incredible !!!
Lots of beeps and lots of coins saved, all 1 at a time !!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on some great finds over the past few years Loco! Shows that perseverance does pay off!

Thanks Jim, the purpose of this post was to breathe life back into the Ohio finds sub-forum. I know there are members from Ohio on here and I am looking for other locals to post here and maybe we can hunt together. When I asked others I have met over the years if they belong to Tnet, they say it seems that Tnet is mostly for guys on the east coast. I am trying to change that mindset.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soooo sweet to see it all in pics. Congrats loco !!! Thats incredible !!!
Lots of beeps and lots of coins saved, all 1 at a time !!

Thanks Bart, just trying to create some hype for Ohio Mders. Tnet is way better than the local FB pages IMHO.

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! I hope it works. I have been doing some historical research in our area and it is mind blowing some of the things that happened and the locals here have no idea. Keep us posted on how your cry to rally works, might be something each area could try!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea! I hope it works. I have been doing some historical research in our area and it is mind blowing some of the things that happened and the locals here have no idea. Keep us posted on how your cry to rally works, might be something each area could try!

Will do, I have made friends from all over the US and some in Europe here on Tnet. I do travel to hunt with many of them, but want to find someone within 20 miles, I hate losing 2 to 4 hours of hunting time due to driving to others distant turf.

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will do, I have made friends from all over the US and some in Europe here on Tnet. I do travel to hunt with many of them, but want to find someone within 20 miles, I hate losing 2 to 4 hours of hunting time due to driving to others distant turf.

You're in luck, I'm literally up the street. I know little to nothing yet, but I'm a fast learner.

WOW those are certainly impressive finds! Thanks for posting them. Once I get my gear I will certainly join you for some hunts. Would love to learn how to go about getting permissions. Do you just knock on the door and say, "Hi, can I go in your yard," LOL or do you scout ahead?

Also, you mentioned parks. Do you hit the Metroparks or just local city parks? If the Metroparks have they ever given you grief?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Loco on all of your great finds throughout the last few years! Great idea to bring together your fellow Ohio detectorists! You could give classes on detecting techniques!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats impressive hunting right there, how often do you get out?

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats impressive hunting right there, how often do you get out?

Back in 2014 I was bitten bad with the bug and hunted every chance I could swung the coil for about 1,000 hours those 1st 8 months. In 2015 I slowed down to just weekends and maybe one or 2 nights a week. Last year it was just weekends and maybe one night a month. 2017 I hunt about 4 to 5 hours each weekend day and maybe one night every 3 months. I do take a week long staycation to detect during the fall after our peak season at work. this year I drove a couple hours south to teach a cousin and his wife the hobby during my week long vacation. Spent a couple days with them and then hit a few permissions up in my town.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Loco on all of your great finds throughout the last few years! Great idea to bring together your fellow Ohio detectorists! You could give classes on detecting techniques!

Thanks SD, I do like to train noobs. I have a F2 just for that purpose. I can have them up and detecting with about 5 minutes of instruction.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Are there any houses for sale in Ohio? From the looks of your finds, I need to move up there!

Very well done sir.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any houses for sale in Ohio? From the looks of your finds, I need to move up there!

Very well done sir.

Tom if you ever want to venture to this area where we can get back to the early 1800's, just give me some notice so I can secure a few great permissions for us. We have 2 spare bedrooms here so smitty and or patch are welcome to come to. We will definitely do some detecting together again in 2018, not just in the northeast, but as we discussed there is an open invitation to do some CW hunting in VA with relic nut and dam nails and maybe swing over to hunt with deepseekerads.

Last edited:

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a metal projectile point? Whatever it is, its looks like a real killer.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a metal projectile point? Whatever it is, its looks like a real killer.

It's more than likely some sort of replica, I believe it's made of lead. Dug it up in a yard of a house built in the late 1800's, but I also pulled plenty of items from the mid to late 1900's there.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey loco......let me guess,...you shot the sheriff but you didnt shoot the deputy. Thats an awful lot of sheriffs badges !! Whats the story there

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I see at least 6 law enforcement type badges !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread