IVE HEARD OF A HALF-DIME...........BUT A HALF-QUARTER?

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'VE HEARD OF A HALF-DIME...........BUT A HALF-QUARTER?

[size=13pt]Got permission to hunt around an old house in downtown OKC a few weeks ago. Finally took about an hour and a half yesterday to go check it out. This old house was build probably in the teens or 20's.

About the third target I retrieved was a Barber Quarter, er..... make that about half of a Barber quarter. I'm guessing a mower blade got to it years ago. The bottom half with the date is still in parts unknown. I must have spent 30 minutes looking for the other half to no avail. Well, in the remaining time spent searching I found nothing else but pennies and a little pin that says Hog Rally in the Heartland 1997 . I had a member on another forum tell me that Saloon's many years ago sold shots of whiskey, 2 for 25 cents, and would accept quarters cut in half and occasionally 50 cent pieces cut into fourths as payment for whiskey shots. There are many old 12 1/2 cent drink tokens found by detectorists still today. This explaination makes more sense as the cut is too straight and too precise to be done by the blade of a lawn mower.

Anyway, I'll be going back next weekend when I have more time to do a better search.

P1010002.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread