A 2 HOUR AFTERNOON HUNT

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice sunny weather here today with temps in the 60's, so why not go beeping for awhile? After all, most of those honeydo's can wait till lousy weather sets in.

Went to an empty lot in an old part of town that I'd scoped out a few days ago. I could tell where a house once stood, but it was long gone. This lot was next to an old boarded up cinder block building next to the RailRoad tracks.

11-23-08No1.jpg

I hunted this lot hard for 2 hours before the shadows started getting long and it was time to quit. Here's the loot:

11-23-08No4.jpg

I used my Tesoro Vaquero today with the 5.75" coil. The small spoon is not silver. I think it probably belonged to a little girls tea set.

11-23-08No3.jpg

The Saint Christopher's pendant was neat find.

11-23-08No5.jpg

A light sprinkling of wheat cents were also found.

11-23-08No6-1.jpg

And.....something kinda funny. A memorial cent set in concrete.

11-23-08No7.jpg

I just kept thinking... my next signal will be silver, but it didn't happen today. Here's pic of everything except for the spoon.

11-23-08No8.jpg

This small lot will require some more effort later. That silver has gotta be there somewhere.

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
S S Question,

S S,
I have a question for you and I mean it in a nice way,
have you ever been run off of a site while using that shovel ???

You got some nice wheat backs.
I have found a zinc in cement before, wonder what the deal is ?
BJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That shovel is specificaly designed to be use for metal detecting. It will dig a perfect plug only deeper than you can do it with a scoop type digger. It does no more damage to the land and is a real time saver especially in dry hardened soil. I doubt that anyone would be run off for using it if he/she demonstrated the correct way to dig with it. It is standard equipment for many who have trouible stooping and bending.....like me! M :thumbsup: nty

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
That shovel is specificaly designed to be use for metal detecting. It will dig a perfect plug only deeper than you can do it with a scoop type digger. It does no more damage to the land and is a real time saver especially in dry hardened soil. I doubt that anyone would be run off for using it if he/she demonstrated the correct way to dig with it. It is standard equipment for many who have trouible stooping and bending.....like me! M nty
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Monty,
I know that, but people see a shovel and think bad thoughts...
I have a shovel, but I only use it at a beach, I also have a small pick from sears, but I use it on bare ground, like in the picture.
I have run across sites where some one used a shovel and never covered up there holes, if it was trash, they left it on the ground, i picked it up and covered up their hole.
I am 66 years old, had one knee replaced and the other one is in need of being replaced, and am 284 lbs, I still cut a plug in grass.
I went to lake Thunderbird several years ago and had to pick up trash and cover up someones holes. When you take out the permit, it says that you are to cover any holes that you dig and pick up your trash.
People keep on doing this and no one will be able to hunt.
BJ

Attachments

• DSC03809.JPG
    DSC03809.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 511
OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BJ - I've been very fortunate not to have been run off from any site that I've hunted. The Lesche Ground Shark is a bit menacing in appearance; so far it hasn't caused me any grief with anyone. Seriously, it offers some degree of security when I have it with me. I'm thinkin' if it should happen that all goes wrong it would make a formidable weapon. As for the wheat cents, I do like diggin' em even though they're nearly worthless. As for Lake Thunderbird, I've ran into the same situation there in the swimming areas I hunt.

af1733 - Yep, I believe you're right. Aluminum. When I first unearthed it, I thought I'd found Silver - but No such luck.

Monty - I concur. I've had that digger for a few years now and take it with me always.

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
Lake Thunderbird

I was told that some of the people that work at lake Thunderbird hunt on their lunch hour.
I don't know who it is that's not covering their holes and picking up the trash that they dig, people like that will get us all banned from hunting out there.

Your alum. spoon looks like a measuring spoon, used in kitchens..

I have one digger that is longer than the one in my picture, made of good steel, I welded in a piece of 1/2" x 18" Gav. pipe to give it a long handle, no one has ever messed with me, I have been cussed at by blacks, but they never came close.
I did have a Cop stop me and ask me some questions, I laid my digger on the ground, he wanted to know about the hobby. He was nice. We told him anytime that he saw us out hunting to come over and hunt with us, I have extra detectors and so do some of my friends.

I like finding Wheats, I know that I have a chance at finding Silver.
HH..BJ

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
The aluminum spoon is from medicine from the 20s-30s. I have found 4 of them so far this year and that's what I discovered after doing research on it. I'll try to find the information again and post it.

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mastereagle22 - Now that is interesting for sure. I'm eager to see what info you've found. Thanks.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I found many many of these at the housing site of an old Air Force base in Texas. Sometimes as many as 5 or 6 each hunt, sometimes only portions of the spoons, though. And the base only dates back to the mid-40's.

For some reason, I had it in my head that these were a giveaway type spoon from an ice cream company? :icon_scratch:

I remember in school when they handed out ice cream cups at lunch they came with a little wooden spoon. Maybe an older version of the same thing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread