sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got Back Out Today For A Little More Beepin'

Got back out today even though the weather wasn't nearly as cooperative as yesterday. Managed to pull out 3 more wheat cents and a very worn Standing Liberty Quarter. No date visible.

Something interesting that maybe you can help me with. The 1953-D cent has been filed down to the size of a dime. Why? The only explanation that I can think of is to put in a vending machine to try to get a dime's worth of goods for a penny. I don't think that it would work, even way back in B J and Monty's day.

PC270002.jpg

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Got Back Out Today For A Little More Beepin'

You got more gumption than I do. I had to work indoors and was cold. At midnight last night I was on the front porch in my shirtsleeves, smoking my pipe. A little windy, but nice. Weather changes fast in Okie country. I am in Wewoka.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow! nice finds. Find them at the old school?

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow! nice finds. Find them at the old school?

Yep, sure did, Bart.

That 53-D and the SLQ came out of the same hole. One thing I found out is that if you get a good coin signal there, even if it will not ID in both directions; dig it! All the wheat cents and the SLQ were 6 to 8 inches deep. Some would ID good in both directions and some would not. The ground is so trashy, you have to go ahead and dig em all. The memorial cents were 4 to 5 inches deep. There were a lot of other signals that I should have dug, but I was being very selective because I only had about 2 hours to hunt.

I think it'll take us a long time to clean that place out completely.

I'm becoming a believer in the E-Trac. I've hunted the exact same area with my other machines over the last 5 years and missed all these targets. Now I've got to go back and recheck all the places that I thought I'd hunted out.

Later........

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Curious, What did the ID show and sound like with both of the coins in the hole? Two different signals or one?

I'm gonna go try to head back out there today this afternoon after it warms up some. Maybe see ya there.

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What did the ID show and sound like with both of the coins in the hole? Two different signals or one?

Bart,

I wished I had payed more attention to what the readings were. I didn't write down any readings yesterday. I remember that in at least one direction, I received a good penny reading, 12-42 or close to it. I dug a deep plug and found the SLQ towards the bottom of the hole. I then refilled the hole and scanned it again just to be safe and got another good penny reading. Re-dug the hole and found the penny in the plug, several inches deep.

Most good targets that I found would give me a good reading in one direction. I would then rescan the target at right angles, at which point the target may null out or the reading would be erratic. Lots of trash in the ground.

I don't know how much time you will have to hunt today, but I would offer this bit of advice: If the target is not reading at least 4 or 5 inches deep, pass it by and move on. All the old coin finds were 6 to 8 inches deep. Seems all the good targets are deep at this location. One other thing I noticed. I would occasionally get a high tone while searching that the E-Trac would not register on the screen until I went back over it very slowly. I'm still learning, it's going to take a while.

My schedule is full today; no time for detecting.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just how old do you think I am anyway? I represent that! :wink: They would work in a six cent pop machine and give you back 4 cents! But don't ask me how I know. M :o nty

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You got more gumption than I do. I had to work indoors and was cold. At midnight last night I was on the front porch in my shirtsleeves, smoking my pipe. A little windy, but nice. Weather changes fast in Okie country. I am in Wewoka.

Hi kenley, I've been in your neck of the woods a time or two. Did some work in the telephone office in Wewoka a few years ago. Also, I owned 80 acres on the Little River, there S.E. of Wolf. Boy, now that was some snakey country. Saw the biggest rattler I'd ever seen down there. Sold that property 2 or 3 years ago. My dad grew up around Vamoosa back in the 30's. Made many trips to Konawa when I was a kid back in the 60's to see my Grandparents. So I'm familiar with Seminole County. You get a chance to do much detecting over your way?

Just how old do you think I am anyway? I represent that! They would work in a six cent pop machine and give you back 4 cents! But don't ask me how I know.

[size=13pt]Monty - I heard a rumor that you had a difficult time making the transition from candlelight to coal oil lantern. But maybe it was just a rumor.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here are my finds today from the school. Not much but did find 1 wheatie. Not nearly as cool as your silver. It came in as a 12- 45 at about 2 inches.

That ground is bad out there!!!! Your right though Mike, I don't think we will have it hunted out any time soon. That tiny ring is junk BTW. Came in as a 12- 20.

Oh yeah, that corroded beat up zinc came in with VERY weird #'s. It was 12 - low something but it sounded good.

Attachments

• Finds.jpg
    Finds.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 320
OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Bart, looks like you did some good.

I just received a 6" Pro Coil that I ordered before Christmas. I hoping it will help me in the trashy areas. My big worry is loss of depth with the 6" Coil. The weather looks decent for Thursday when I'm off work, so I'll give it a try then.

Later...........

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's

S. Shooter,
As to your 53 Wheat back, the vending machines use to have slots that were the size of the coin, maybe someone tried to pass it off as a dime...Back then, most people where honest, most never locked their house's up and left the keys in their cars and trucks...
As a kid in grade school, we took a half dollar and a spoon and beat on it and made into a ring.
I played football in grade school and when we played other schools, we did not have any helmets, pads or uniforms. Same for Baseball.
Glad that you got out and found some coins, every nice day that we have had here lately, I have had something that I had to do, but Fri and Sat I may just have to go scratching in the dirt.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Monty, we just don't get any respect, do we ? And I think that I am older than you by a few yrs. Feb. of 42.
S. Troop,
Your finds look like mine do here lately...
The last time I was out, I had only found clad, we were done, put up our detectors and was walking around looking at where we hunted and BSn, and I saw what looked like a Penney on the ground, picked it up and it was a IH in bad shape, I looked around, and ask my friend (70) I said, you were hunting over here and missed this, he laughed and said don't start that again,lol, several years ago, I found a 1897 barber quarter and showed it to him, he ask where I found it, and I pointed over there, and pointed and said weren't you just over there and he has never forget that, I did not know him then, I had just met him. We have a lot of fun..
Some nice week end, we need to meet some where and hunt together and see if we can get into any trouble..
Picture of old IH.
HH...BJ

Attachments

• worn IH.jpg
    worn IH.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 242
  • worn IH.jpg
    worn IH.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 239
  • worn IH.jpg
    worn IH.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 239