Something A Bit Unusual

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I love about this hobby is you never know what you might find hiding in the ground. I found this small copper plate yesterday while detecting. At nearly 10 inches deep; I could tell it's been sleeping a long, long time. At first, thinking it was junk, I almost threw it away, but noticed some engraving so I cleaned it up to see what I had found. It was extremely dirty and encrusted. Once the dirt and crust was removed, I rubbed it with black shoe polish to bring out the engraving. After much effort, I'm still not sure what it is I've found. Maybe a copper Christmas Card? It's always rewarding to find something here that predates statehood. And yes, I'm going back later in the week to see if I can find the rest of it.

Your Thoughts?

Attachments

• Copper Plate No.2.jpg
    Copper Plate No.2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 670

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Given the depth at which it was found, one has to believe that it might indeed be that old (108 years). Consider also the following: In 1906 there was a Frank C Boasen (Boasen being the name on the plate) that was described as "a leading jeweler and one of Oklahoma City's most popular young business men". One has to wonder about the (remote) possibility of a young jeweler apprentice, 6 years prior to the wedding date listed above, doodling on a piece of copper in an attempt to sharpen his skills. It also appears that the theme of the work was the new year 1900-1901. Or maybe the whole thing was done last year by some local frustrated juco student who was majoring in art. One thing for certain, the other piece should help shed a bit more light on the subject. Interesting!
Good luck,
docmann

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an 'unusual' piece.

Fossis..............

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
It's been a week and a half. So where's the other half of that copper? You're burnin' daylight. PS: I saw my Cheyenne contact in clinic this week. We're good to go anytime we want to make the trip back up there.
mm

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That is a really interesting and nice piece you got there. Hope you find more of it!!!

I have to say it's the real thing...first off...kids today can barely write their names where you can read them!!! (Mine included!)

To add to Docmann's post....

5 June 1900 Census (District 167, Oklahoma Township, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma Territory, Sheet No 5 A) on line 29 shows Frank C. Boason living as a Boarder in the home of Francis M. Shappell, W, F, age 57. Frank is listed as W,M, Single, born Oct 1874, age 25 and a jeweler. He was born in Illinois, whereas his parents were born in Denmark. Two other boarders are Robert J. Clark (Coal Merchant) and Fred C. Brookhouser (Jeweler). This boarding house was located on Broadway St....house number 517.

28 April 1910 (District 229, Oklahoma Township, Oklahoma City Ward 6, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma, Sheet No 23 A). Frank (age 36)is on line 12, wife Anna C. (age 30, born Iowa, father Germany, mother Indiana) and son, Paul (age 1 year & 2 months). Another person, Ruth Magruder, age 16, is also living with them. She is listed as a roomer. Frank is a Proprieter of a Jewelry Store. There is a Charles W. Boasen (age 34, born Illinois) living with his sister, Lulu M. Boasen (age 28, born Kansas). Charles is also a Proprieter of a Jewelry Store. I take it Charles is the younger brother to Frank and they are both are owners of a the jewelry store. Hard to say, but it appears Frank lives on E. 12th Street, whereas Charles lives on E. 13th Street....or they both live on E. 13th Street. I would have to say it's 13th Street, based on Frank's house number is 331 and Charles is 329.

Being said....I would look on a map as close to 1910 to see where they lived and see if you can find where the store may have been....and see how in relation to where you found this item is to where the store was and where they lived. It is also possible, that the store was located in their home....you know...like they had a store on the ground floor and lived on the top floor.

For Charles, a WWI Draft Registeration Card (1917-1918). He was born 20 Sep 1876. His full name is Charles Winthen Boasen. Wow, this record shows his addy as 329 E. 12th Street (so the census taker wrote down the wrong street addy.) It states he is a Jewelry Merchant and is the owner (Myself for employee's name). Hard to read the addy, but it looks like 133 (can't read this word) Main Street. Not sure if it's Main Street... it's Man and really can't read the rest. Mary Street? Wife is listed as Lulu May Boasen. This record was recorded 12 Sept 1918.

Do find a Frank Brasen (Boasen) (age 45) and wife, Anna (age 38) on the 19 January 1920 District 124, Oklahoma City Ward 1, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma Census. Sheet 21 B. Frank is on line 90 and still listed as Retail Merchant - Jewelry Store. His home is at 529 W. 18th Street. Son Paul C. Boason is now 10.

Charles (age 43) is still living at 329 E. 12th Street with his sister, Lulu (age 39). Just listed as Jeweler. His census is 15 January 1920, District 128, Oklahoma City Ward 2, Oklahoma County, Oklahoma on line 19. Sheet 18 A

Just found Frank's WWI Draft Registeration Card (1917-1918). It was dated 12 Sept 1918. Wife listed as Anna Boasen. Store business listed as 133 W. Main or Mann Street. Frank born 12 Oct 1874 and living at 331 E. 12th Street. He full name is Frank Coy Boasen.

Frank's SSN Death Index Info:
California Death Index, 1940-1997
Name: Frank C Boasen
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 12 Oct 1874
Birthplace: Illinois
Death Date: 7 Mar 1963
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Winthers

California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
Name: Frank C Boasen
Est. Birth: abt 1875
Spouse Name: Rebecca N Adams
Spouse Age: 66
Est. Spouse Birth: abt 1895
Date: 8 Oct 1961

Hope this information helps in learning about this piece you found and hope you find the other pieces to it....
Annmarie

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Annmarie,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Just saying thank you seems inadequate for all the help with the research.

I'm going back to that very spot to see if I can find the missing piece.

Thanks again,

Mike

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Annmarie,
I thought that I had gone to a lot of trouble with my little bit of information. Wow, you've done some homework there! Great job. When Sharpshooter uncovers that Mason jar full of raw diamonds and gold, surely you'll be in for a cut.
Thanks for all of the history.
docmann

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
docmann said:
Annmarie,
I thought that I had gone to a lot of trouble with my little bit of information. Wow, you've done some homework there! Great job. When Sharpshooter uncovers that Mason jar full of raw diamonds and gold, surely you'll be in for a cut.
Thanks for all of the history.
docmann

Ahhh, but Docmann....if not for you supplying that information .... I would not have been able to access my ancestry acct and find more! You started it! Thank You!!! :thumbsup:

However, for some reason, I had no luck in the newspaper search >:(

My pleasure to assist in any way possible....history is pretty exciting!

You are most welcomed sharpshooter! Hope the info helps and that you find the other pieces!
Annmarie

PS: now, you have to let us know if you find more...k? ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread