7-30,31-09 Finds; A Milestone Reached.

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lokkenpa and I have started hunting a new area. This new place has given up some nice finds.
I've hunted it for about 5 hours total Thursday and Friday.

I reached a milestone Friday; my 50th silver coin find for 2009.

I set a goal for myself at the start of the year to try and find 50 silvers. I reached it much earlier than I'd imagined. Funny how the silver finds came in spurts with dry spells in between.

I found one ring that was a bit unusual. It has the word "TUNIS" on one side and "1943" on the other. My guess is that some G.I. brought it back as a memento of time spent in Northern Africa at the capitol city of Tunisia during WW II. It sure made a long trip to central Oklahoma where it has been sleeping until I unearthed it yesterday.

Notable finds for Thursday and Friday of this week are pictured below.
Of course I had to scratch the oldest wheatie. :BangHead:

scan0004.jpg

scan0001-1.jpg
SmallSilverRing.jpg

TunisRing1.jpg
scan0005.jpg
scan0006.jpg

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Congrats Sharpshooter on your milestone. I don't have a detector but my friend does, and I think he needs to take it to the countryside soon. It's so weedy everywhere though. Wow, fifty pieces of silver. We haven't found one yet. and really anything besides rusty bits of wire and steeples would be nice.

naturegirl

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
Congratulations....!!!! :notworthy:

I think my area was used as a landfill at one time as every lot seems to have fill that was thoroughly mixed through all strata. Maybe a B-52 from Tinker flew a saturation over us with shredded aluminum cans, tabs, keys, and brass fittings. :dontknow:

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
50 pieces of silver is better than most see in years! Looks like you have a good spot there. Wait till this winter and dig all the low conductors (gold). How far south into OK are you? Maybe we should all get together for a hunt in the area some time. There is good hunting is this part of the country, and yours also I would guess.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Not too shabby, but I say you still need to make a boat anchor of that long-neck beeper and take to the field gathering flint. If God wanted man to beep He'd have given us all magnets at birth. Take a look at my latest posts!
Docmann

PS Get yourself and boy(s) out here to pick up some of this material with me.
MM

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dislike you more and more with each post! ha ha Keep it up!!!

BTW... Florida beaches are awesome to dig and very little trash. Found nuthin but clad and pop tops. I get lazy listening to the hum of the threshold here.

Playing with my boys and the beach are hard to ignore. Its hard to detect with half naked women walking around. ha ha Thank god for mirrored sunglasses so my wife doesn't catch me!! Or does she see me and just and figure it par for the course?? ha ha

OP
OP
sharpshooter

sharpshooter

May 3, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the replies.

naturegirl = Take your friend with his detector anywhere people congregate either now or in the past and practice finding coins. Learn what they sound like and how to pinpoint them. If the site is old enough, the silvers will start showing up.

Yellowhouse = I hunt some of the most trash infested areas there are. If you have the right equipment and know how to use it, the good finds will come.

rebelLT = The 50 silvers were found at a total of 5 different locations. I don't want anyone to get the false impression that it was easy. Many hours invested in learning and lots of work to get the silvers. I live in the OKC metro area.

docmann = You're lucky I don't live closer or I'd pester you constantly to hunt flint.

stoopstroop = Find your wife a big ol' gold diamond ring to put on her finger and she wont care about your babe-watching. You need a hurricane to come through there; that would wash up some good stuff on the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread